A little quail question 🙋‍♂️

BastyPutt

Yes, your Polish is a cockerel...
May 9, 2020
Central Oregon
Hello all

We have been chicken keepers for quite a while now, but a 3 hour BYC reading rabbit hole has now led me on a pursuit of raising quail. For our purposes, Bobwhite Quail are going to be the best, and I'll build an aviary. 10x10 and 6' tall

We live in the mountains of central Oregon and it gets cold here. Very cold. Average temps for 2 months is 20 degrees, with lows to -20. We have transitioned to almost 100% hatched chickens here, and over the generations our "strain" has become very winter hardy. We really don't need to do anything for them compared to what we used to when they were from the hatchery.

Anyway, I understand from reading that as long as a quail has a good, tight shelter, they should be fine. With that said, for a Bobwhite quail, can i elevate it off the ground? If so, is it like a chicken where they will instinctively go the the shelter? Would they use a ramp if I built one?

Anything else I should consider?

I'll add to what @Nabiki , said; if elevated above the ground be sure you can block the wind from blowing up underneath the cage in extreme cold conditions, otherwise, frost bite will occur with their feet.

In my experience, and in general, they will not use a ramp. Bob's roost on the ground but they occasionally will sit on perches.

As long as you have them protected from the elements, provide an adequate protien feed and keep them dry, draught free, they can handle -20°F weather.

https://apps.oregon.gov/SOS/LicenseDirectory/LicenseDetail/875

Looks like I would if I intend to sell them. Unless there is something I missing there?
It looks like you are correct. I am still learning the rules in Oregon since I just moved here. You think permits and such are bad here? Try California.

A Propagation License is required to raise game birds or their eggs for sale. A Propagation License is not required to purchase and hold propagated game birds for personal use. Application must include copy of federal permit for all migratory game birds protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

Check your state Department of Conservation as well. In Missouri, Bob whites are native so if you keep them in cages they are considered “Captive Wilds” and come under all of the regulations of the Department of Conservation. These regulations are separate from state, county, and municipal “livestock” regulations. “Sales” “personal property” and “sales tax” regulations are additional layers to check. These regulations and laws may apply even if you do not set up a LLC, and may apply even if you only barder depending upon the state, county, and municipality laws and regulations. This information is for Educational purposes only, and is not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

I'm in southern OR. Pretty close to the CA border.
Very good location. I have been here my entire life and love the southwest and central coast the most. Just to visit though! The rain in the winters is enough to make you lose your mind.

Regardless, Welcome. In my opinion, it is the most beautiful state in America.

Back
Top Bottom