A Needy Future Chicken Farmer's Impossible Journey of Raising Chickens. Ideas appreciated.

Any birds here would love to be kept safe from the 28 stray huskys that roam around 24/7 lol. There isn't many trees to roost in here its mostly open bottom. If a chicken can't fly 100 yrds and 20ft high they are dead here.
Can you give us a general idea of where "here" is? A state, perhaps, or an area? So we can have some idea of your climate and predator load? It would help us to help you.

The area is in a flood zone, the coop must be elevated in the event of high water. I'm also going to use the space underneath the coop as a shady spot for my birds. Its already started so a dirt floor will not work. See pic above a couple posts.

Can you give us a general idea of where "here" is? A state, perhaps, or an area? So we can have some idea of your climate and predator load? It would help us to help you.
1689739319822.png

Very rural. Heart of Appalachian mountains. We have Opossums, Raccoons, Snakes, Stray dogs, Bears, Humans, Owls and Hawks. Pretty much sums it up, I have lived here off and on for 50+ years. Not to throw a wrench into your machine, but I think I know what preditors I have lol. Thanks anyway!

I have the "foundation" made. I have fencing and nails, screws, saws, etc. I have tools just no materials. No truck to haul anything. If it needs hauled I have to pack it on my back or in the trunk of a small car. I have lots of 2 inch saplings but no real logs to cut. I could use just about anything. Would be nice to have a bunch of old car hoods I would use that, or about 10,000 hubcaps, I'd use them. Just I have nothing to build with lol.

Lol, of course you know what predators you have, friend. But you asked for our help in building a coop with a minimum of purchased supplies. In order to do that, WE need to know what kinds of predators you're dealing with. That's why I asked. So thanks! An unprotected dirt floor (as I'm sure you know) won't do you much good against snakes, rats and other digging vermin.

I have the "foundation" made. I have fencing and nails, screws, saws, etc. I have tools just no materials. No truck to haul anything. If it needs hauled I have to pack it on my back or in the trunk of a small car. I have lots of 2 inch saplings but no real logs to cut. I could use just about anything. Would be nice to have a bunch of old car hoods I would use that, or about 10,000 hubcaps, I'd use them. Just I have nothing to build with lol.
Is barter an option? Or trading labor for material? Tear down someone's old shed in exchange for the materials? I'm thinking corrugated roofing could be useful. Just racking my brain here.

"No buying supplies," he said.
Yes, but also bought wire - so maybe there was some give there.

I forgot about the raised part. I didn't remember the inbetween posts as well as I thought I did.

So...maybe one or more of these:
Use the saplings but not solidly. If you space them then you need fewer of them. That may let you use the smaller diameter tops between the 4' long 2" diameter sections without compromising the strength or the predator risk very much.

Do you have clay? Your trailer frame and power posts could easily carry the weight. Mixing chopped straw (or dried lawn clippings and or fine twigs) and sand into it would add strength and hardness. The saplings, or just the tops, could make a basket-type support layer under the clay layer.

Tin cans would fit in your trunk. People often like to see materials being reused rather than recycled or in landfills. The cans flatten fairly easily if you take both ends off. Or leave them round and slide them over the poles to add diameter to smaller poles. Or aluminum drink cans.

Cardboard wouldn't do much by itself but it might be useful as a layer.

Consider looking at lashed or wattle fence designs and adapting them to use as a coop floor. Daubing (mud or a mix of mud with straw) can also be used to seal gaps. Thickness of your lashing material will determine how far apart your saplings are. If you can't manage to keep less than 1/2" gap between the saplings, consider doing two rows of them, where the second row lays over the gaps. Partial length sapling pieces to block gaps are also an option. It may take some time, but rope of some type should be easier to carry in your trunk or car if you decide to use lashing rather than screws to secure the saplings in place. Lashing can also be made from small diameter willow branches, or you can make/use jute or other natural materials as lashing.

Good luck figuring things out!

There is a very good reason to keep them in a coop. Here our "neighbors" currently have 6 huskies that terrorize my dogs and kids. They now have 26 puppies that will also be terrorists. I kill all that I can get by with but there is a never ending supply of targets to practice on. I must have a fenced in run and a VERY secure coop. Black bear are abundant and I'm NOT going to lose chickens to predators if I can help it.

Again I know what I need, I just need ideas on alternative building supplies. I hear pools that have the thick blue plastic sides make good siding/roofs.
Holy smokes!

Back
Top Bottom