A new Chicken friend.?

SammileeChickie

Songster
Mar 7, 2015
Southern California
I have to chickens as of right now and every morning my barred rock does an screeching Caw CAW sound and I think it's because the EE chicken is still in the coop and she wants her out. I was thinking of maybe adding a third chicken that way at least one of them will be with the barred rock so she doesn't freak out.
I found someone selling chickens that are 3 months old. Mine are 7-8 months old and are already laying eggs. Would it be okay if I just bought 1 three month old chicken and put it in there with mine.?

My suggestion to adding chickens is to do it in pairs at minimum. Can you handle 2 more. ??? It is always tricky to add just one, but not impossible. When you add 2 new ones, even if they are from different sources, they hang together for support. In short time they all get along. I recently added 2 OEGH. They were adopted from a flock that could not keep them. (winter hardiness issues) I keep mine during winter indoors. There was a little chasing in the beginning, but all luv each other in short time..
love.gif

More chickens, maybe less spidermen in store.
smile.png

Do you think that will solve my noisy problem though.? Will they quite down when there is more of them so they can all hang out and not feel alone.?
1f614.png

I could add two more I guess but I just wanted to get one because I want to raise them as chicks again but I want to fix the problem of them screeching now

Adding 2 will provide more company.. Not sure if it will take care of the noise. It is a trial and error learning experience. The addition of 2 will be less problems than adding one.

Adding 2 will provide more company..  Not sure if it will take care of the noise.    It is a trial and error  learning experience.    The addition of 2 will be   less problems  than adding one. 
Do you think my reasoning of my chicken squawking is right though.? Have you ever had this problem.?
1f614.png

I'm so tired of her screeching everyday, whenever the other chicken goes in the house

Sometimes hens will make really loud obnoxious racket when they are about to lay an egg. Mine do. And boy they are definitely loud. I don't know if that's the case with your girls or not, but that's the only time mine get really loud routinely. Are yours fairly new at laying eggs? I think over time they settle down and stop announcing it. :) Good luck and hopefully your girl will settle down soon.

Sometimes hens will make really loud obnoxious racket when they are about to lay an egg. Mine do. And boy they are definitely loud. I don't know if that's the case with your girls or not, but that's the only time mine get really loud routinely. Are yours fairly new at laying eggs? I think over time they settle down and stop announcing it. :) Good luck and hopefully your girl will settle down soon.
No they have been laying eggs for like 4/5 months now
1f614.png
she doesn't do it before she lays an egg because I used to put them in a play pen and she wouldn't squawk. She layed get eggs and was a good chicken. Recently I connected the coop and run with the play pen so now my EE can go in the coop when she wants and when she's in there my barred rock goes CRAZY.! she squawks and paces around. I feel like it's because she is looking for the EE. When I used to let the free range, my barred rock would start making loud noises and squawk when the EE was out of her sight. So that's why I was thinking maybe she's scared it lonely.? I know chickens do better in numbers so that's why I thought maybe adding two more might help.
1f612.png
sorry for the paragraph. I'm just starting to get frustrated because she cries and cries very loud and I have no idea how to make her stop besides locking her in the coop or forcing the EE out.

I'm sorry. :( I don't really know what to do about that. They really do better in a group, so its possible more chickens may help. Sorry again I was no help.

It
I'm sorry. :( I don't really know what to do about that. They really do better in a group, so its possible more chickens may help. Sorry again I was no help.

It's okay
1f623.png
I just have bratty chickens. I think I might add two more and see if it helps, besides I can start selling the eggs and make money to go towards their food and supplies <3 I do want more chickens lol.! I was just wanting them next spring so I can start with babies again. But I guess I can get them sooner,
1f601.png

What breed would you recommend for a very heat hardy bird. It can get to 110 over here (being the hottest). Would a wyondette be okay.?

Back
Top Bottom