A new mama to 3 adorkable baby chicks!

Ivytwilight

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
AZ
Hey All!
I have never owned chickens before but after many, many months of research on chickens ( reading many articles on this website along the way!!!) we finally decided on Dominiques! Any helpful advice is always welcomed and greatly appreciated!
We live in Arizona and have had a bit of a scorpion problem since moving out of the city and would rather not have the house sprayed with chemicals every month (Never mind the cost of that process) and everyone kept telling us to get chickens to help keep down the insects the scorpions feed on. Frankly, I just used that as an excuse on my husband to get chickens!
Our three baby Dominique girls came in the mail today. Yes, I am a VERY new mama to chickens. I am thankful they made the journey and appear none the worse for it! I have only had them for half a day, but I can already see huge differences in their little personalities! They are all eating and drinking and otherwise being happy chickies!

I do have one, well I wouldn't call it a concern, but an observation about one of the girls. Her chirp is sooooooooooo much louder than the others put together. I will hear it, go check on them and she'll stop as soon as I open the door. She seems fine and will run up to my hand when I put it in the brooder and walk right into my palm, sit there pretty as a peach. (First, I thought maybe they were too cold, or then too hot, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.) I was just wondering could she be more stressed than the other two from the journey or could this just be her personality as a a very loud girl?
They have all quieted down considerably since this afternoon. I know it is probably a silly observation to make, but as a new mama I am terribly watchful of the babies! And oh, a big Hi all to everyone on the site ^^
The girls. From left to right Plouffe (the loud one), Bumgarner (the chill lady) and Furbush (the leader). If you are wondering about the names, they are named after some of the most amusing last names in Major League Baseball!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

It has always amazed me how something the size of a ping pong ball can make a noise loud enough to be heard through two closed doors and down a long hallway

WelcometoBYC.gif

Hi and :welcome

The loud chirper should be nothing to worry about, especially if she seems healthy. Some chickens are just naturally louder than others, I have one who always had this loud rasping voice you can hear from the other end of the garden :lau

Congrats on your new chicks!
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom