A New Predator in the Neighborhood- The worst (if you ask me!)

Dutchess

Songster
11 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Maine ~ 4 chicken years
Well, I though I was dealing with a fox, I was wrong. It's a FISHER!
barnie.gif

About 4:30am this morning I heard a commotion at the hen house. I ran out to see what was happening and yelled "what's going on over there!" and a fisher came running out. As I approached the area, I noticed feathers everywhere and a dead chicken in the run. The chicken house and run are attached to a large shed. That fisher carried a half grown rooster (about 10 weeks old) and brought it up on the pitched roof of the shed and ate the entire thing, right there on the backside of the roof! The only thing left were a few bones and MANY feathers.
And FYI~ the fisher bites the head to kill the bird, leaves it where it killed it, then comes back making trips to get as many of the dead birds as possible in one killing spree.
Now it's WAR. This critter is taking food out of our mouths, these are my meaties!
Yesterday it counted 18, there were 20 birds to start. I found one dead and the other was carried away. Then early this morning, the fisher took another 2 and left one dead in the run. I think it was coming back for it when I shouted and scared it away.
A total of 5 birds, gone in two days. I'm not sure where to go from here, I was thinking about getting a havahart trap but I need find out the laws for fishers in Maine. Anyone know anything about the state of Maine and fishers? I will be looking into it...Wish me luck!

Well, I though I was dealing with a fox, I was wrong. It's a FISHER!
barnie.gif

About 4:30am this morning I heard a commotion at the hen house. I ran out to see what was happening and yelled "what's going on over there!" and a fisher came running out. As I approached the area, I noticed feathers everywhere and a dead chicken in the run. The chicken house and run are attached to a large shed. That fisher carried a half grown rooster (about 10 weeks old) and brought it up on the pitched roof of the shed and ate the entire thing, right there on the backside of the roof! The only thing left were a few bones and MANY feathers.
And FYI~ the fisher bites the head to kill the bird, leaves it where it killed it, then comes back making trips to get as many of the dead birds as possible in one killing spree.
Now it's WAR. This critter is taking food out of our mouths, these are my meaties!
Yesterday it counted 18, there were 20 birds to start. I found one dead and the other was carried away. Then early this morning, the fisher took another 2 and left one dead in the run. I think it was coming back for it when I shouted and scared it away.
A total of 5 birds, gone in two days. I'm not sure where to go from here, I was thinking about getting a havahart trap but I need find out the laws for fishers in Maine. Anyone know anything about the state of Maine and fishers? I will be looking into it...Wish me luck!
sorry to hear about the attack! I've never heard of a fisher, but I hope you will be able to stop it before it cleans you out. I live in Alabama and have a fox prowling around, but I've got his number!
wink.png

laws????

I always have said in situations like this, it is only illeagle if you get caught. I would take my chances and I would eliminate the fisher..just wouldn't post it here to tell the world of its demise.

Sorry about your loss.
Tough animal to trap, and it might be against the law to trap and/or transport too.
DEAD or alive!

FYI game officials (and ATF) have been known to frequent hunting/gun forums!!

Laws .....?? Rules and regulations .....?? Something is entering your property, murdering your birds, and you are going to make inquiries as to your rights.... ??

S. S. S. (shoot, shovel, shutup) or T. T. T. (trap,turf,tidy)

Cheers.....The Dog

Back
Top Bottom