A new Serama-sized game bantam

Pics
May 14, 2019
North Florida
This thread will be an offshoot of my American Game Bantam thread. As I line breed my American Game Bantams, I’m getting more and more birds that are coming out Dutch and Serama-sized but without the munchkin traits of a Serama or the short legs of a Dutch. They are retaining their athletic builds, in other words. Which means overall they’re chickens of smaller build to meet the same weights of Seramas and Dutch bantams where a lot of the weight savings on those breeds comes from short legs.

I see this line evolving two ways. The first way will end up with mature hens in the 12-14 oz range and both sexes retaining athletic builds. The second branch will be as small as I can make them while retaining health and fertility. As I documented in the AGB thread, I recently lost a 4oz micro pullet to a hawk when I ironically pulled her off of free range for her protection and the hawk caught her through the chicken wire.

This evening I separated out two choice individuals that should start breeding this fall. The stag is 17 oz. and the pullet is 11oz.

EB793630-4D0D-480E-A61D-23120684851B.jpeg

3A47DEDD-C446-45CC-8F8A-FF76BA833EEA.jpeg

The stag is so far the smallest rooster I have produced. I have another one that may be micro but he still has some growing to do before I know for sure.

The original AGB thread is linked here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/recreating-the-american-game-bantam.1349595/

The AGB thread chronicles the genetics I’m using to make these. There is no Serama or Dutch blood in these. Only my Florida Cracker gamefowl crossed to OEGB.

Last edited:
This is really neat. Honestly, I like the idea of a pigeon-sized/micro chicken, but I'm not overly into the other really small breed body types because they seem a bit on the extreme side. I like sporty! They look good.

I don't know where you got the idea that Dutch have smaller legs, they don't.View attachment 2932565
Nugget at 2.5 month's
View attachment 2932566
Nugget at 10 month's.
She weighs just 485 grams.
I think you meant chabo's(japanese bantam) they do have shorter legs.
The show lines specifically. There’s a trend across OEGB and Dutch to favor shorter legs for show, which practically means short legs become the unwritten standard of perfection.

Its especially glaring with OEGB, where the standards calls for a very different bird than what usually wins. OEGBs are evolving into the small toy soldier look that Seramas have, when the OEGB is supposed to look like a leggy game bird at home on the farm yard.

A Dutch isn’t necessarily supposed to have long, gamey, legs.

The show lines specifically. There’s a trend across OEGB and Dutch to favor shorter legs for show, which practically means short legs become the unwritten standard of perfection.

Its especially glaring with OEGB, where the standards calls for a very different bird than what usually wins. OEGBs are evolving into the small toy soldier look that Seramas have, when the OEGB is supposed to look like a leggy game bird at home on the farm yard.

I think I got a copple of things mixed together, here the standard is not so long legs, you could say it is between long and short legs. On the farms and most backyards the legs are a bit longer than standard.

Back
Top Bottom