A Passion for Rare Poultry Antiquities

Rarakurooster.jpg

Violaceous Shehuen

Last edited:
Res, post up in the (buy/sell) area with this same info. I'm sure you'll get some help. Best of luck in this matter.

Wow... so sorry to hear you have tangled with the retarded masses... ha ha... My own language is lacking your eloquence.. Yep... totally been taken in by myself really... My belief in ppl and thier supposed shared journey which in fact was a ruse... Good luck to you... I am interested in the black skinned ones... for study but would be sadly inadequate for a long term serious project so I will pass and be an onlooker in your pictorial postings... Best of luck to you... and sorry to hear of your misfortune.. The world has it's way with those kind.

Quote:
Can't believe I was talked into this. I was so happy living my own private imperfect life. It makes me wonder why people bother with chickens at all.

It's all good... This too will pass.... I try to stay private for just that reason... I am easily tricked into believing ppl's good nature... You are a good soul... Never regret that part... That kind of person usually suffers fate at their own hand... You are rockstar in my book... Wish I had room to house a rare antiquity... I just feel I couldn't be the best steward due to such small quarters.... Wish I could help you out in some way... Did you make the post on the proper posting with chicks and eggs??? What is the goal in preserving the breeds....I know this sounds like a stupid question but is it "for all time"... How does one go about keeping the genetics alive? Do you breed a pair every year to ensure no losses etc??? IF you had something small, It doesn't really matter what but the housing and the feed and all the idiosycrisies (spellling) would worry me that I haven't the proper psuedo environment.... what does it really entail??? I really like the dark skinned and feathered ones (ayam Cemani?)... Those are soooo interesting.... The diet and such and humidity and folage etc... Do you have to house them in separate enclosures with controlled humidity and temp? Just too much for me...

Okay so that was a rambling mess... I should think things out better before committing them to type. ha ha

So the problem is you are inandated with babies???? You have all these rare breed chickies running around???? what about different concervencies etc... zoos? You probably already thought of it but??? Sorry about my spelling... (blind spot)

I have a name for ppl like that... It isn't allowed on this forum...
tongue.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

I think I'm over it now. What a heartless bitj. Thank you so much for your indulgence!

To answer your questions- the issue with these old stocks is going to be sanitation and diet. Space is not much of an issue as like most domestic fowl, their environment includes the people that look after them. They make the most of smaller spaces- but height is important. Taller outhouse shaped structures are better in the long run than short chicken coop shaped ones.

They are housed in separate enclosures. Some will need a bit of attention in the winter- but really all chickens deserve access to high energy suet logs and nuts in the winter.

The really rare rapa nui- they're so valuable I just try and keep them as comfortable as possible.
They've always spent winters in unheated barns and we've never had an issue.

Selective Breeding - when you take on the stewardship of any breed- any heirloom lineage in the making- for example what people have been attempting with the tufted rumpless Araucana -

You are entering into a commitment to learn what the unique thing about that breed or lineage- what characteristic(s) makes them unique? What is their psuedo-evolutionary novelty?

As a steward of the stock you maintain it as long as the interest moves you. Ostensibly you won't be alone and you'll shoulder the splendor with like-minded stewards- so that when that day comes when you can no longer maintain your collection- they will carry on in the spirit of the cooperation - of collaboration -between all involved.

Speculation is a huge portion of this level of selective breeding- especially as it relates to obscure breeds and some generation Peruvian Japanese gentleman leaves you - its a challenge and one that is in my life a welcome one- courageous - foolish what's the difference? In this world of instant gratification- you and your peers are the only hope for sanity from a rural heart -

Last edited:
Have been following this thread from the beginning... but now it has taken a turn and I can't find out where... Did I miss something? Is there another thread that I can go to? I went to the thread refered to a couple posts back (2009) but I still seem to be lost... will go back through the whole thing again when I'm not leaving for work.

Enjoying the thread (except for where I got lost)!
hu.gif

mmaddie's mom :

Have been following this thread from the beginning... but now it has taken a turn and I can't find out where... Did I miss something? Is there another thread that I can go to? I went to the thread refered to a couple posts back (2009) but I still seem to be lost... will go back through the whole thing again when I'm not leaving for work.

Enjoying the thread (except for where I got lost)!
hu.gif

I started writing this thread for our fellow colleagues in Chile that are part of a first rate -and ongoing conversation with me and a few North American Araucana lovers- about the various South American breeds.
This is going on at facebook.

This happened to be concurrent with (finally) giving up some of my bird nerd treasures. I wanted to get more factual information out there as these birds are fairly unknown to most people. As I was hatching stock for strangers- I realized that it was imperative that once that same stock started being surplussed there would be an educated population ready to participate in conservation breeding of this stock. Too valuable to be wasted into the vacuum of bored chicken drudgery.

Then- suddenly I realised that the party I was convinced had some comprehension of sustainable farming, that party turned on a dime and pulled one of those hot flash impulses and drunk dialed (not actually drunk with alcohol but ego) my private email inbox.
Now I have hatched/reared nearly a hundred of the rare antiquities stock and many more utility stock- and have no place to put them.
So- I made an ad that I now want to pull. I will continue writing here about the stock but have been contacted by a collector that wants a good portion of the stock.

-again I will return to this thread as time permits.​

Last edited:
Thanks for bringing me up to date... sorry to have taken your time... but have really enjoyed learning about your birds and your experience with them. Great pics!

I'm so glad that you found an experienced collector to take some of your birds. What a shame to have wasted them.

I will be looking for more of your posts on BYC... I've learned a lot and hope to learn more from you!

Oh... and in answer to your kind question... yes, Illinois farm country (not Chicago!)
smile.png
Nearest neighbor 1/2 mile.

Back
Top Bottom