a plant question....

joanna

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 9, 2007
I know that chickens do their best to keep their run solid, packed dirt. however, i have an overabundance of wandering jew in my flower beds and am wondering if I can throw it to the chickens (perhaps crossing my fingers that it will embed itself in the run
big_smile.png
). I've seen it on the poisonous list somewhere but not on the poultry poisonous list. i have a solid green variety...smooth leaves, tiny little flowers in late summer.

any ideas?

Hi! Because the name of that plant is a nickname rather than the scientific name, would it be possible for us to see a pic of the plant you mean, or a link to one online? I think all of us have the same problem, local names for plants and animals often mean one thing where we live and another elsewhere...'m planning on spreading some white clover seeds near the edge of the run, and gowing peas, alfalfa, day lilies ( the orange heritage kind which are edible), nasturtiums, scarlet runners, flax and other goodies nearby to toss in.
cool.png

wandering jew will take over wherever you throw it down. you will never get rid of it. ever. it will eat your chickens while they sleep.

YEAH! that's EXACTLY the answer I wanted. You guys are great at providing information and ideas.

beefy...I know what you mean. last year I pulled 7 trash bags out of my front beds and this year you can't tell I pulled 1 little piece!

thanks again!
joanna

Oh man that stuff will take over anything. I don't think the chickens will be able to keep up with it, I agree with the person who said it will eat your chickens while they sleep...and then it will eat the coop.

I know the plant you mean, it's used here to prevent soil erosion on slopes. Nice that it's great for chickens! I suppose it depends on whether you have a suitable place where it will be of use both as chick food and for soil control...
cool.png

Can I ask an unrelated question to this horticulturally inclined group?
IF cedar chips are bad for chickens, is there a problem with them roosting in a cedar tree or playing in the cedar needles at the foot of the tree? My DH thinks we need to keep the tree & the chicks seperated.
Do we?

Back
Top Bottom