A question about squirells

harveyhorses

Songster
11 Years
Jan 16, 2010
Powhatan Va
I have a very healthy population of tree rats, they hang out under the bird feeders. try to get in the chickens run, and gernally annoy the heck out of me. They have no fear, one actually came on our screen porch in search of sunflower seeds this weekend. (so one of the chickens wandered in too, but that's different)
This morning I got out in the yard early to beat the heat, let the girls out to do chicken stuff while I worked in the garden, it took about 10 minutes torealize there were NO squirells, not one, not the pair that chatters at me, not the little bitty one that watches when I weed, zero. It kind of creeped me out.
When I put the girls up, I double checked the security, roof is tight, electric fence popping away.
Anyone have an idea what could have happened? I would like to think the hawks had a family outing and did away with some of them, but would they ALL stay away?
Just puzzled.

I KNOW when they feed,
roll.png
they just were not there. Any. At all. We have our routine.
Start coffee, let girls out, put feeders out, stomp foot at tree rats, drink coffee watching them and the girls forage for dropped bird seed, finish coffee, start working in the garden, toss culled veggies to the girls, put harvested veggies on the well, throw something at the tree rat going for the harvest...
you get my drift. This morning not even a chatter. It was early 7 ish. Seriously, we have dozens.
Puzzlement. Not going to miss them if they don't return.

Do you have any neighbors with a veggie garden or fruit trees? If so, your squirrels might have been poisoned. Or else something else in the neighborhood is ripe that they prefer to your bird feeder.

Quote:
I do have neighbors that garden.
My reaction was Oh no they can't have been poisoned, but I am fine with them being hawk feed. I would love it if they found a better buffet.

Back
Top Bottom