A question of genetics

eggs_on_legs

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2020
Hello,

I've had a flock of red hybrid hens for a while now and recently got what I believe to be a dutch bantam rooster (same colours anyway, and he's quite small).
They've been mating OK and we've gotten some fertile eggs - my question is, what kind of chick would they produce? And would that new chick be as good of a layer as her mother?

Thanks!

The egg production is a mix between the father's line and the mother's line. To get a rough idea just average out the amount of eggs your hen lays in a year with the average amount a dutch bantam lays in a year. That may give you an idea, but not a definitive answer.

When it comes to barnyard mixes it's like humans having kids. You never know who it will look like until it hatches and feathers out.

If they are both red, then their offspring will most likely be red too. Since bantams are smaller it would also be a toss up on their size.

The egg production is a mix between the father's line and the mother's line. To get a rough idea just average out the amount of eggs your hen lays in a year with the average amount a dutch bantam lays in a year. That may give you an idea, but not a definitive answer.

When it comes to barnyard mixes it's like humans having kids. You never know who it will look like until it hatches and feathers out.

If they are both red, then their offspring will most likely be red too. Since bantams are smaller it would also be a toss up on their size.
Brilliant, very informative thank you! I'm still very new to this :hugs

Brilliant, very informative thank you! I'm still very new to this :hugs

No problem. I'm no expert, but from what I've picked up just reading informative threads and articles here on BYC I've learned a lot these past two years and I know you will too!

Back
Top Bottom