A rescued new little friend! (What is it?) *PIC HEAVY*

your duck does resemble a Gray English Call Duck couldnt really tell for sure by the pictures, Call ducks are squatty their heads are very round and they are a lot louder than a standard duck. Call ducks are used as live decoys because their voices are loud they also have the tendency to bring foxes in because their voice can be heard for about a mile but they are sweet they can also fly a good distance.

Quote:
is that your call (avatar)? If so such a beauty I had 3 of them 1 white english and 2 gray english sadly they were all killed after venturing into the fields
sad.png
had several clutches from them this year 1 hen gave me over 50 eggs but no hatchers. I miss my calls.

070725015400.jpg

Thanks, Simplcitiy and Katy!

I've been scouring Mallard and Call sites for pictures and I think my new one looks exactly like this Call duck. Though I was able to hold it for a while this morning and the head has a very green sheen to it -is that a unisex trait when young? Also, in holding it I noticed that it's quack is much quieter than I initially thought -are the male Calls louder than standard males? If not, I'm thinking that it might be a "he" since I can't hear it's quack over the other ducks.

Last edited:
Quote:
I couldnt tell you as I got mine as older birds never got to raise any of thier babies though the green sheen would point towards male imo. My males were louder than my standard males and the female was even louder.

Yes, that's one of my hens as my avatar. Sorry that you lost yours. They are definately fun little ducks. If I could figure out how to post a picture on here I'd put one on of my grey hen.

I'd say if you got a hold of it and was pretty quiet I'd bet you've got an young male. Call hens are very loud, but the boys are pretty quiet. For awhile it's hard to tell the boys from the girls until the boys get their drake curl. You can tell by their voice fairly early on tho.

Back
Top Bottom