a sick wild bird died in my crate. what to disinfect it with ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
i have Oxine AH but not the “activator”. will it still work? i don’t know what the little wood duck died of that was in my crate. My neighbors had brought it over and it was having some trouble breathing. They thought it had a broken wing, but I don’t know anyway it died before I could get it to the wildlife rehab. now I want to disinfect the crate. what should i use

i have Oxine AH but not the “activator”. will it still work? i don’t know what the little wood duck died of that was in my crate. My neighbors had brought it over and it was having some trouble breathing. They thought it had a broken wing, but I don’t know anyway it died before I could get it to the wildlife rehab. now I want to disinfect the crate. what should i use
Diluted bleach and a few hours of sunshine are my go-to for everything from wood to plastic.
There's probably less caustic things out there, but bleach kills pretty much everything, and the sunshine dries and takes the harmful fumes out.

Diluted bleach and a few hours of sunshine are my go-to for everything from wood to plastic.
There's probably less caustic things out there, but bleach kills pretty much everything, and the sunshine dries and takes the harmful fumes out.
ok yeah its a hard plastic kind of dog carrier crate thx

Ducks are the main source, carrier and reservoir of avian influenza, and it's active there so I would take this very seriously, and keep your birds well away from anywhere that duck or crate went before you clean it (and the route between your neighbour's property and yours by which they brought it over) thoroughly.

I'm sure there's a US equivalent of this
http://disinfectants.defra.gov.uk/DisinfectantsExternal/Default.aspx?Module=ApprovalsList_SI
column iii in this one is the disinfectants that will kill AI and the concentration to use. Use it as directed. Don't cut corners. Make sure that the carcass is properly disposed of.

Seconding diluted bleach. It will kill anything.
yes and I have bleach I found this conflicting information that says three-quarter cup to 1 gallon water and also says one part bleach to 10 parts water however 1/10 of a gallon is 1.6 cups so that would be approximately twice as strong
3D87E171-4210-4B6F-A746-1FA223D28A9A.png

yes and I have bleach I found this conflicting information that says three-quarter cup to 1 gallon water and also says one part bleach to 10 parts water however 1/10 of a gallon is 1.6 cups so that would be approximately twice as strongView attachment 3819615
and wow here’s 3 more all different dilution rates what’s the real one lol
DD91EBDF-BFED-4A4D-AE4D-8E2775784A44.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom