A Surprise Frizzle!?

inthesticks1847

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 27, 2014
I recently ordered rare breed Silver Penciled Cochin Bantams from an out of state hatchery. I'm a bit confused, however, as they are now feathering out. While one (the lighter of the two) is feathering out smoothly as expected, the other (darker of the two) is feathering out with what appears to be frizzling. Am I seeing things!? What are your thoughts? I've never had a frizzled chicken before, and I most certainly would welcome the idea, but there is a clear difference in their feathering and feathering speed. They are about three weeks old. Help!

No not frizzled. It either has a feather deformity or the feathers are all wonky for some reason, could be the Tardy feathering gene as its feather growth is way, way behind the other... suspect it will feather out normally once it goes through its first adult molt.

Last edited:
No not frizzled.   It either has a feather deformity or the feathers are all wonky for some reason, could be the Tardy feathering gene as its feather growth is way, way behind the other...  suspect it will feather out normally once it goes through its first adult molt.
How can you tell the difference? What causes a feather deformity in a seemingly healthy chick?

Frizzle has a very distinct look to the feathers- simplest explanation for frizzling on chicks would be a straight feather with a very distinct curl at the tips of every single feather all over and this does not have it(looks more like bed-head).

Frizzle grow feathers at the same rate as any other chicken. This chick still has feathers only on the wings. Another sign of something else being up.

The cause could be genetic- there are some known to cause very slow feathering as chicks, but they end up looking normal as adults. Tardy, K-Slow feathering are known ones. Sometimes these are used for better quality of patterning on adult feathers.

As for the exact gene- would have to wait for someone who is familiar with whatever this chick has comes by.. I've seen pictures like this before but have forgotten which one it was exactly.

But not frizzle for sure, sorry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom