A Texan Asian in Belgium - The Story of the Hippie Stink Homestead

hippiestink

Crowing
5 Years
May 9, 2015
Bierbeek, Vlaams-Brabant, BE
I figured this would be as good a place as any to document the growth of my little chicken farm in the middle of Flanders.

I'm in my early twenties, and I was born in Texas to a Vietnamese refugee and an Irish-Romanian from Missouri. I spent half my time growing up in a suburb in San Antonio and the other half in a trailer in Cibolo before moving to Helotes and attending school at an Ag/4H school. There, I was a part of the Dance Team and friends with many children who grew up hunting, fishing, and farming. I myself grew up with chickens on my paternal grandparents' property. About two or three years ago I met a nice Belgian boy online, and the rest was history.

Three years, an ocean, and some animals later, I find myself running a small homestead with my husband and our flock, as well as two collies and two snakes.

This year is my experiment year. I'll be documenting gardening, chicken rearing, and the little dramas of an urban homestead.

Yesterday was a cleaning day, as Midsummer is upon us. It was overcast most of the day, and the fear of rain prevented work in the corn field and potato patch I currently have going. i recently found a couple Hungarian Blue poppies growing wild on our property, which of course I've been eyeing for seed. Rare cultivars usually capture my attention, and the dramatic purple flowers will be excellent for my container garden.

I've been taking a swing at the Three Sisters method of gardening with the corn this year. It's a new method for me, as I grew up with exclusively corn fields and growing three plants in the same field is a little daunting. I've currently got Golden Bantam corn and Fin de Bagnole pole beans going, so it's just the squash/melons I have left. Weeds are threatening to take over the field though, I have to go out with my sprayer of vinegar and kill the majority of them. Normally i keep the weeds, but as we're living on my FiL's land he requires that we keep it mostly tidy.

As for our chickens? We bought a Black Sex link to replace a Barred Rock/d'Anvers mix we processed. I'm no stranger to processing but ol' Hildegard got to me. We have six chickens in all, a decent flock that's dual purpose. We had to section off our roo from the main flock though as he has a bad habit of plucking the pullets and hens when he tries to mate with them.

Today though is Midsummer. i'll be collecting the seed heads from the two poppy varieties on our property and planting the last of the produce as well as bagging the tomato blossoms to prevent cross-pollenation and promote heirloom preservation. Charentais melons are the last of the Three Sisters that need to be planted and I have radishes that need to go into the ground SOON. We won't be here in August (going Stateside to visit family) so I also have to figure out logistics for the biddies and the farm.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a lot going on. Good luck with it all.
Love the idea of saving the poppy seeds. I would love to see a picture of the wild poppies.

Well I don't have pictures of them in flower, but I do have a few of the seed pod that I can post in a bit. For now, this website has a photo of them in bloom:

http://poppyseeddreams.com/breadseed-poppy-plant/57-poppyseed-dreams.html

Most of the poppies that grow wild here are the "Flander's Field" kind, a bright red cultivar that is almost tulip shaped. I was VERY lucky to find the purple breadseed variety growing on the property. I don't know where it would have come from, I'm assuming a bird ate a seed pod at one point or something and their droppings landed in my drainage ditch.

It's another overcast sky in Belgium. This Midsummer is cooler than what I'm used to, but I have watered some plants and if the clouds clear up I'll be spraying the weeds. I'd hoped to collect seed from the plants in the drainage but unfortunately the poppies aren't dry yet and the majority are still flowering. So it's been mostly outdoor work for me, with a small fire out on the patio planned for tonight. Our potatoes are thriving in the poor soil we have in the garden plot, and the corn seems to be holding up well with the addition of beans and green material. The chickens are still separated, dealing with changes in the flock like the addition of two hens and the replacement of one. This life is simple and not very exciting, but it's mine and it suits me fine.

Update: the sun shines! I'm watering definitely today and spraying, despite the wind. I got TWO determinate tomato varieties going and one indeterminate variety. I have them in mostly sun/partial shade on the East side of the apartment, I think next year I'll have them downstairs instead. I'm super proud of these tomatoes, they're blossoming beautifully and the plants themselves have gotten VERY large. I grow Indigo Rose, Roma VF, and Black Sea Man. I need to get muslin bags to cover up the blossoms and preserve the heirloom quality. Guess I'm off to the only strip mall in Belgium that's open on Sunday.

Well today was a good day. Got gardening done and some info on how to protect my hens from our overly amorous roo. I threw out the last of our inorganic cleaners and we're now down to only organic and homemade stuff! About the only things I buy anymore are an all-purpose cleaner and toilet cleaner. The only reason I have chlorine bleach is to clean my washing machine. I started homesteading and keeping chickens to eliminate the unnecessary in my life and live a cleaner existence, and today was a big step toward that. Night folks! I'll be back in the morning with more tales and little dramas from my homestead.

Excitement in the chicken run today. It was raining for a few hours before I woke up at eight to feed the chickens and when I made it out our roo Anrai had slipped under the gate we used to separate him from the flock. He was huddling under the coop out of the rain. I guess he FINALLY figured out that you can slip under the fence after about a week of separation. It's not terrible though, as I'm going to try an apron on his favorite to keep him from plucking her bald.

More rain on the homestead. Martha (Barred Rock) seems to think that the food bowls are actually just food on the ground and keeps trying to scratch it, only for the bowl to tip over. Plucking isn't an issue and the hens are producing eggs since there's some sun getting to them. Yesterday I got nothing at all, the weather was so bad.

it's strange, I have four really good laying hens but for some reason I only ever get two eggs in a day. I don't know if they're too young or what, but the d'Uccle Coreen has gone broody and only stops sitting to eat. Maybe the others don't want to sit next to her, since she's now the roo's favorite and has become somewhat tetchy. I don't know, it's more chicken run drama. I'll be making aprons this week for my hens to prevent the roo plucking them bald like he did with Hildegard before she was processed.

Corn is finally breaking the two-foot mark on growth and the beans are getting established. If it would stop raining on and off I could go out and actually get the weeding and melon planting done. Weeds are starting to take over the yard and while vinegar works to keep them at bay, the rain from yesterday washed the majority of the vinegar off the weeds and they're back. When I have a truly sunny day I need to really spray it good and pull whatever is near the plants. Sun I've found really aids in killing off weeds organically.

Poppies are taking their sweet time to dry and open up. I'm half tempted to uproot them and just keep them in my humid laundry room until they dry out but i'm concerned that doing so will actually kill them before they're ripe and developed. Better to be cautious than sorry, so I'm leaving them be and checking twice a day until I see the vents under the top of the pod open up.

Last edited:
Rain is finally gone. I sprayed vinegar (five liters worth) and got the majority of the weeds killed but there's still quite a bit left for me to pull. Got some tips on what to do about my tomatoes in the gardening thread (thanks @lazy gardener for the tips!) so I'll be doing that after I finish cleaning the store.

Roo got out from his "baby jail" (as the husband puts it) and is mixed in with the rest of the flock again. I haven't seen him pulling anyone's feathers so I'm hoping he's finally quit. Hens got more bedding put in (I'm doing deep litter) and I may refresh the pine needles to help with the dearth of flies we got this summer. They get fermented feed which certainly helps with smell but they get supplemented with the bugs outdoors and salad green scraps we throw on down for them.

All in all I can fully work with the good weather and get a lot accomplished. I'll probably be back later, got a store to clean up.

Well I tilled a quarter of the field by hand and got myself a blister for my trouble. Turned the dead and dying weeds into the soil for cheap organic matter, should really help the yard next year. We're planting more potatoes and radishes in the extra space after I'm done hand tilling everything.

Tonight we ate Hildegard's meat. Absolutely delicious; I'm glad we're raising chickens for eating as well as laying. The roo is still out and about, not in his "baby jail". Tonight is a sleepless night as I want to get the whole house cleaned before finishing up the store, and the fact that my sleep schedule is shot as is so it needs a reboot. I finally decided this after sleeping through two alarms and not getting out to open up the coop and feed the hens until around eleven AM. Never letting that happen again.

Garden is fantastic. I'll be replanting a couple pole beans (some just plain didn't sprout) and I planted four Charentais melon seeds, one per row. I'm mostly testing the Three Sisters technique to see if it would work in our soil and our field in general, and it seems to be really effective. I do wish I hadn't waited so long to plant each thing, but that's neither here nor there. I'll be properly planning the garden tomorrow as I have to be out there anyway, I'll be taking accurate measurements and figuring out how much useable space I have for planting. I've also talked with the husband about fencing off the area in the winter and letting the chickens have the field to range on and poop on, but he's not thrilled.

I'll be up all night doing chores and browsing the internet. Talk to me, people.

wow, you have been busy! I started working a week ago and am still trying to get used to the schedule. Not a 3:30 am person at all, lol!
I still need to plant my sweet potatoes and getmy tomato starts into the ground. Need to get going on the big chicken coop also. The little ones will be outgrowing their brooder pretty soon.

Back
Top Bottom