A Thread About Trees

JErry -- what is the name of that tool. WHen I googled 3 n 1 , a number of designs popped up. Including a completely different one from that in the pic above. ( jack knif/ handpruner design.)

Is your tool the one that cuts opposite configurations so that they are a perfect fit?? Omegs cut is the term used on the PEnn state web site?

DO you use wax?? I"m worried it would be too hot and injure the tender cambium and young bark.

Try searching omega grafting tool on eBay . I was just there I think it said BD3 or something like that. I did not pay that price . Any of the tools that have the omega blade should be fine . I use Parafilm to cover grafts . I get it on EBay plus the rubber budding strips, Parafilm is a waxy film that stretches and the heat from your hand seals it. Enlarge the photo to see the bud growing out of the top of the Parafilm. No need to remove Parafilm or rubber strips I checked Summerstone and searched semi dwarf apple. It brought up semi dwarf and dwarf fruit trees . I assume any trees not labeled as semi or dwarf are standard .

Diagnostic guide for orchard tree diseases !
Check it out ! Follow the step by step instructions and find the disease bothering your trees.
I checked out my cherry trees and looks like they are dying of Crown Gall. Tho for the last
several years they appear to have had Brown Rot. Live and learn.

DIAGNOSTIC KEYS FOR IDENTIFICATION OF DISEASES ON ...
DISEASES ON APPLE, PEACH, AND CHERRY TREES. IN THE NORTHEASTERN UNITED STATES.

By M. R. Schwarz and T. J. Burr. , 1984 .
http://ecommons.library.cornell.edu/bitstream/1813/5125/1/FLS-108.pdf

Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Diagnostic guide for orchard tree diseases !
Check it out ! Follow the step by step instructions and find the disease bothering your trees.
I checked out my cherry trees and looks like they are dying of Crown Gall. Tho for the last
several years they appear to have had Brown Rot. Live and learn.

DIAGNOSTIC KEYS FOR IDENTIFICATION OF DISEASES ON ...
DISEASES ON APPLE, PEACH, AND CHERRY TREES. IN THE NORTHEASTERN UNITED STATES.

By M. R. Schwarz and T. J. Burr. , 1984 .
http://ecommons.library.cornell.edu/bitstream/1813/5125/1/FLS-108.pdf

Best,
Karen
Thank you Karen for finding this-- identifying disease on fruit trees and then treating can save all the hard work of planting them.

A question popped into my head . . .

. . . . . . while lookig at the selection options for buying fruit trees. OFten a variety is available in different heights of the purchased plant. I'm not referring to final height and width of the plant but rather the physical size that will arrive at my door step. OTher that pricing, what aare the benefits or pitfalls of buying each of the sizes? Is a smaller 2 foot young fruit tree less vigorous or less healthy than a 4 foot? I am assuming they are the same age-- maybe that is the difference in pricing????

It pays to have had past orders with a seller. This way you know what they sell in that size . Here is why . I went to Bloomington to the retail outlet of the mail order nursery . They run about 6 catalogs under different names . All sell the under sized trees. They also sell larger potted trees at higher prices . Prices are comparable to other potted trees but the selection of varieties is often better . I bought a paw paw , pecan and English walnut for around $21 to $30 each . I also bought 4 bare root pecan from the catalog for about $10 for the four. Catalog says 1 to 3 foot . All are under 1 foot with a diameter of 1/8 inch or less at the base. The potted pecan about 1 foot tall with 1/2 inch at base . So much better tree for the $25 or so . I knew this when buying . The potted tree is leafed out the bare root still waiting . I planted them in pots on the deck and treated them to prevent moisture loss. I think buds are swelling on 1. They will need a lot of TLC . Same thing on catalog fruit trees 1 to 3 foot are 1 foot or less . Other sellers will sell more accurate sizes . So a 3 foot tree of 3/8 diameter is ok but less than that takes a lot of care to get it to survive . Myself I ordered the $12.95 from Summerstone . I believe they will be the larger trees from that age group . I did not pay attention to standard or dwarf and should have as I think now I ordered standard as it did not say. I mainly wanted the variety to graft onto my existing trees and I will grow them near the house for a year before moving to the wooded food plot for deer.

It pays to have had past orders with a seller. This way you know what they sell in that size . Here is why . I went to Bloomington to the retail outlet of the mail order nursery . They run about 6 catalogs under different names . All sell the under sized trees. They also sell larger potted trees at higher prices . Prices are comparable to other potted trees but the selection of varieties is often better . I bought a paw paw , pecan and English walnut for around $21 to $30 each . I also bought 4 bare root pecan from the catalog for about $10 for the four. Catalog says 1 to 3 foot . All are under 1 foot with a diameter of 1/8 inch or less at the base. The potted pecan about 1 foot tall with 1/2 inch at base . So much better tree for the $25 or so . I knew this when buying . The potted tree is leafed out the bare root still waiting . I planted them in pots on the deck and treated them to prevent moisture loss. I think buds are swelling on 1. They will need a lot of TLC . Same thing on catalog fruit trees 1 to 3 foot are 1 foot or less . Other sellers will sell more accurate sizes . So a 3 foot tree of 3/8 diameter is ok but less than that takes a lot of care to get it to survive . Myself I ordered the $12.95 from Summerstone . I believe they will be the larger trees from that age group . I did not pay attention to standard or dwarf and should have as I think now I ordered standard as it did not say. I mainly wanted the variety to graft onto my existing trees and I will grow them near the house for a year before moving to the wooded food plot for deer.
Thanks for the tips with this company.

You are right on the std-- the trees are standard UNLESS noted as dwarf or semi-dwarf. TOok a bit of sleuthing to figure that out. Meaning , the primary listing doesn't state the adult size of the trees but the dwarf and semi-dwarf do. So process of elimination.

If I understnd you correctly the 1-3 foot trees will NOT be in that range but smaller ( shorter and lesser diameter) ? THat would make me feel ripped off-- product would not be as stated. THank you for the inside story so I can adjust my selections if necessary.

THe selection is pretty extensive but doesn't include the antique types other than 3-4 variteies. Fortunately the Davenport COllections has about 150 old types that were developed in the New England area and Russia and Germany and France. Perhaps next year I can get the Schion wood from the Davenport Colelctin and graft it onto any surviving apple trees.

I also stumbled on this source, sorry if I am repeating myself Great detail on the cultivars ( varities of apples) including disease resistance, uses, etc.

: http://www.orangepippin.com/apples

Back
Top Bottom