A Thread About Trees

Wallaby, have you tried looking online for Meyer lemon seeds? You have me doing research and hunting for them now
smile.png

Welcome, Leslie! Perhaps you could suggest pyracantha to your friend? They are excellent protection and a good food source for birds. They are very antisocial plants, haha. The drawback is if you have to trim them or fetch a chicken out of them, you have some seriously nasty, thick thorns to deal with. I don't exactly like diving into them, but I do trust them to protect my hens while they're out foraging. Plus, the berries are great for a really tangy jelly.

I've been doing a lot of research today on different plants, and I have decided that if I was in a zone that didn't get so bone-freezing cold in the winter, I would probably be buried alive in a mass of tropical and warm-weather trees and plants. An olive might be one of them. And I'd definitely have citrus trees, such as lime and orange.

Is anyone here familiar with the use of honey locust for medicinal purposes? I've read that Native Americans used it to help with rheumatoid arthritis, but I couldn't tell if it was the legume pulp or something else off the tree that was used. I'd assume it was the legume.
idunno.gif

Here are some baby trees in the field that butts up against our chicken pasture. I can't wait to harvest them so I can claim this field for the birds.

These are peach seedlings, which presents a bit of a conflict with the chickens as they have to be sprayed with an insecticide to eliminate a particular parasite, and I don't allow spraying that close to the birds. I'm not sure why TPTB decided to plant them here ... we spoke about it extensively before they made that decision, and in fact this is the second time they've done it ... the next field to the right was dug this winter and was a total loss due to this parasite ... and everyone knew that before planting this field. Such a waste as this field would make great poultry pasture. Just your typical multi-generational family-farm weirdness.
cool.png

Here is a link to a farm of a friend in our area that grows a lot of really interesting fruiting trees and shrubs. I know they ship trees lots of places, and have information about zone hardiness, etc. Even if you don't order anything, this site is a great source of information. They have some unique stuff.

https://www.onegreenworld.com/

Here is a link to a farm of a friend in our area that grows a lot of really interesting fruiting trees and shrubs. I know they ship trees lots of places, and have information about zone hardiness, etc. Even if you don't order anything, this site is a great source of information. They have some unique stuff.

https://www.onegreenworld.com/

Cool! This is now on my list of "to check out".
smile.png
Thank you for the link.

Okay, I am ridiculously excited because I've been doing plant research, and I think I figured out what species of crabapple tree we have. It might be a Pratt's crabapple.

It's possible that it could be a Japanese flowering crabapple, but I'm leaning toward Pratt's. I LOVE this tree. It's at least 60 years old and is covered in the most beautiful dark pink flowers each Spring. The fruit has been an excellent forage source for my chickens and turkeys, too. Be ye warned, though, for I've found that the fermented fruits can cause violence in turkeys
gig.gif

I forgot about the link Leslie posted until now and decided to check it out. The dogwood seeds I ordered a couple of weeks ago from another site still haven't gotten here, and I'm worried that they got caught in a mail machine somewhere and torn open
sad.png
So, I remembered the link here and went to check it out, and sure enough! They have dogwood trees! Now I really need my tax returns, haha.

Thanks again, Leslie!

I love trees too! Hence "treegirl" in my username. (Uh...ignore the typo ;) )

I sadly don't have a lot of space, just a yard or I'd have lots of trees. I do have a baby tree in a small pot that hasn't gotten any bigger. I know trees grow pretty slow, but it has been months and months. It's a pepper tree, also known as goat crack.
gig.gif
Good thing I don't have any goats.

Here's a not so great photo:

Welcome, veggietreegirl! Cute tree. What other trees are you wanting to plant?

I'm wondering if your pepper tree is staying the same size because of the pot it's in? I have had plants get so far in a pot, then stop until they are in the ground.

Back
Top Bottom