A Very Stubborn Broody Hen

Eggnog101

Songster
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
I have a braham hen named Hershey, and for the past six months, she's been broody. I can't handle any more chickens, so she isn't hatching any eggs. I tried to wait it out, I put Ice cubes under her, my mom put her in the rabbit cage for a day (That didn't work at all, It made her worse) and, a few days ago, I put her in a bucket of cold water. I researched how to stop this, I've tried everthing I can think of, and she just won't stop be broody! The others don't like her anymore, and she scares the ducks, I just can't figure out what to do!

Thanks in advance for your time.

If she is setting in the coop, I would try locking them out of the coop from dawn to dusk for several days. Of course you will have to hunt for your eggs....

One day in the rabbit cage is not nearly enough. Try keeping her in there for at least four days. It may take a few more days than that. Provide her food and water. She will be fine.

One day in the rabbit cage is not nearly enough!!!

I agree with Ridgerunner. About half of my hens have gone broody this summer, and I have to put them in a large covered pen outside in the shade. It has food, water, and a roost, and is 7x8ft on the ground, but no nesting material. I put them in there with another chicken (sometimes there are several) for at least 3-4 days. Then I take them back to the coop. If they are found back in a nest box in the coop over the next day or two, they go back for another 3-4 days. Some are very broody, and I do have one girl that has been broody 3 times since about the first of May.

I agree about the cage, I'm not sure how it could have made her worse? She needs to be forced off her nest for several days minimum.

Or, you could always see about selling her to someone who wants a good broody. Maybe you could trade for a good layer, even. I'd make a trade like that in a heartbeat if circumstances were different.

One day in the rabbit cage is not nearly enough. Try keeping her in there for at least four days. It may take a few more days than that. Provide her food and water. She will be fine.

One day in the rabbit cage is not nearly enough!!!
Thank you Ridgerunner! I have to trim her nails first, because they are way too long.

I agree about the cage, I'm not sure how it could have made her worse? She needs to be forced off her nest for several days minimum.

Or, you could always see about selling her to someone who wants a good broody. Maybe you could trade for a good layer, even. I'd make a trade like that in a heartbeat if circumstances were different.
NO. Just NO. I could never sell or trade any of my babies, I love them too much. But thanks for the imput!

Did you ever break your stubborn broody? How did you do it? I have one now who has been in the rabbit cage for three days and now she refuses to eat and drink. So I don't think this method is proving to be most effective for us.

Did you ever break your stubborn broody? How did you do it? I have one now who has been in the rabbit cage for three days and now she refuses to eat and drink. So I don't think this method is proving to be most effective for us. 

She's finally broke her broody spell, we waited it out. I'm so sorry I didn't answer, I haven't been online for a few months. Has she broken out of her broody spell yet?

Mine is just as stubborn as hell i'm getting so FED UP & her broodiness is like every twice month & i've tried everything!! Ughhhhhh I refuse to have chicks Period!!!

Back
Top Bottom