A watering question

TreeFever

Songster
11 Years
Feb 17, 2008
MA
I have a question about where to put my birds waterer.
They have a normal waterer, always clean and full. When I'm out in the yard sunbathing or working in the garden, I let them out of their run so they can forage in the garden. I leave the run door wide open for them to come and go as they please. If it's hot they begin to pant and may lie in the shade, but I never see them head back to the run for a drink! Only when I herd them back home to do they take big longs sips at the waterer.
Do they know it's in there if they get thirsty?
Should I be moving the waterer our into the yard for them?

Quote:
Im a proponent of watering outdoors. It keeps undue moisture out of the litter and the chicken house, in general.
During the warm season, I'd suggest you add a waterer in their outside spaces. And if you are concerned, there is no reason why you cannot bring one along when you guys go out in the yard.

Hmmm when I free range my chickens they go back into their run to drink when they are thirsty. How far away from your run do yours travel? I just saw your birds by the way. You have a nice flock
smile.png

Dear Water Lady, I have so many water buckets around my yard it's crazy. If I let my birds free range, I always have a bucket or two in the area they're exploring the most. Yes they will drink if it;s available and close at hand. If they are out wandering about and there is NO water avail, they will wait to go in to drink. Not a good idea because like people in the hot sun, we can get dehydrated...especially chickens and ducks...they need water available where ever they decide to play and rest...Later Gater

Back
Top Bottom