a weasel killed my quails

mybabychickens

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2024
Today I woke up to find 11 out of 17 quails were dead. 2 bodies and some mangled meat left by the door. Blood everywhere. It was quite traumatizing. I have raised quail for years and never had anything get in there. It dug into the bottom run and got through the door that lets the quails in the bottom. I have 6 live quail left. My friend came and fixed all the damages and helped clean up the bodies and blood. For some odd reason it only took the largest ones that are harder to get. and left me with the young small girls. It took out my favorite roo Bernard. I started a couple years ago with 21 quail. All my other deaths were either ones who flew the coop when I opened their door or died of old age. I have to clean the rest of the coop tomorrow. The weird part is that it did not touch my chickens which I forgot to put to bed last night. But that might be because my chickens live in a renovated camper and prefer to sleep in an old cabinet. They literally stack all 15 of each other on top of another like pancakes and go to bed. They even do this during warm months.

Edit: I had set a cage trap, the trap caught it, but it managed to flip the cage and drag it a couple feet before escaping. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the weasel?

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, everything likes to eat quail, and I can see a weasel choosing quail over chickens as they are easier prey. The would go for the larger plump ones since they are pretty much all equally defenseless and the plump ones make a better meal.

I hope you don't give up on your quail and make your quail pen safer instead. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom