A year later - update (pic heavy)

startingover

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Northern Kentucky
You can see the original thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/602222/were-moving-house-pics-added-pg-3

I thought that since I haven't done a really good job of updating like you guys asked that I would do it now! We've been super busy this year and today is a dreary rainy day - so what better time to update!!

We really have done a lot more this year than we thought we would. When we moved here, I kept around 30-35 birds. At this moment we have well over 100 that we are keeping through the winter and the incubator is already humming and my first "home grown" French Black Copper Marans will hatch!! Yeah!! I think I hatched out about 60 FBCM from various sources (many from here at BYC!) and I ended up only keeping 4 for my breeding stock. I wanted to keep the best of the best!!

In February of this year our first Randall Cattle arrived. We had calves born in April and June. Then we got 7 more Randall in July.

In June we also bought 6 Hog Island Sheep from Mt. Vernon.

We are getting Ossabaw Island hogs in the spring.

We've become a dealer for Hiland Naturals Feed.

We built a new garage/barn.

Yeah we've been busy!!

Here are some pictures from throughout the year so that you can see the changes we've made so far. Refer to the original thread to see any before shots.

If you want to read up more on the breeds that we have chosen, there are many links from my website at www.risingphoenixheritagefarm.com

This is from the far hillside on the property looking back towards the house and barns.

Since there wasn't any before pics of the pond - I'll include one. This is one of the farm ponds before we had it redone. Yucky pond.

This is after, just after the first rain that put some water in it. The white pipe is for a gravity fed water system so that the livestock never set foot in the pond again and ruin it. It'll be about 15 feet deep when full. I'm sure it will be late spring before it has rained enough to fill it.

The new garage/barn as viewed from the driveway.

The garage barn as you are looking towards the house. This was the day they were finishing the gravel.

Okay that's enough for now!!! We still have LOTS to do but we are well on our way!! I can't wait until spring so that I can get my mobile coops for laying flock, breeding flock, meat flock, and turkeys up and running!!!

I just realized I didn't include coop pictures!! These are older pictures but you get the idea.

The gravel has by far been the BEST investment. I wish we had a lot more, but we didn't want to go overboard and then have it destroyed when we did more work as we clean everything up and make it OURS. The driveway part to the new barn once was gravel and had a SOLID base, so we just scraped up the few inches of top soil that had covered it and laid down fresh gravel.

We've had about 7 inches of rain the last week or so and I am SO glad we did the gravel when we did. I'm already finding spots that I really wish we had gravel there! There's a lot of low spots that need drainage and filled in so that the water goes away and not towards the buildings.

Back
Top Bottom