aaaaaaannnnnd I have a rooster

jobeibi

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 4, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Sigh.

My cute little EE chick has started crowing. I'm kind of sad about it, because he's a nice chicken, but I just can't keep a rooster.

He has a beautiful crow.
sad.png

I feel for ya. I've got two EE "pullets" that are about six-seven weeks. One has already been crowing for two weeks, and I found a beetle-green tail feather on the other one yesterday...her overall coloring looks more like a hen but I'm worried now.

Ditto here. My 10 week old Welsummer, McGee, crowed twice today when I was in the coop.
barnie.gif

I had heard something previously and I thought it might be the Easter Egger. But if he is a rooster, he is keeping a low profile. I'm pretty sure the other 7 are ladies and I had gotten a couple extra in case I had roosters as I don't want to do the chick raising thing very often.

McGee will be going to a "chicken farm" in the boonies on Sunday courtesy of the place where I bought him (Urban Farm Store in Portland). They said, very convincingly, that he will live out his natural life there and will not be eaten. Not much I can do about it any way since I'm not pissing off my neighbors and keeping a rooster. My other neighbor has one and, while I don't mind, the last thing I want is to attract attention of code enforcement since I'm a tad bit over the allowed limit - ok, 3x the limit.
D.gif

I have mutt chicks that are going on 13 weeks old, and no one is crowing, but several have the beetle green feathers. Those are a sure sign that they are roos, right?

Mrs. K :

I have mutt chicks that are going on 13 weeks old, and no one is crowing, but several have the beetle green feathers. Those are a sure sign that they are roos, right?

Not always. My hatchery BR hens have beetle green in their tails. They're all girl though, big, fluffy, egg-laying machines.​

Last edited:
I understand. I bought 7 "pullets" and 4 wound up being roosters. And they were the nicest ones in the batch. My town ordinance says I can't keep chickens so the roos had to go. Made me sad.

Back
Top Bottom