Abacot and Silver (Spotty and Snowy) Call duck Thread - Genetics, etc...

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Pics
Jun 16, 2018
Hi all,

Just a bit of information about the below birds... if you have any photos please post!!

Abacots are called snowy in the USA, and are silver (spotty) call ducks but with an extra added gene which overpowers the silver genes. This is called the abacot colouration gene (ACG).
The silver photo isn’t a proper silver, silver Calls are incredibly hard to get right. I’ve included a photo of the best silver in Europe, who is the mother to my silver breeding duck. This is what a proper silver looks like.

The silver you included has a half-gene of the abacot colouration, so appears to have a white underbelly as silvers should, but a fawn hood as abacots should have. This means if you breed off her, she will produce 50% abacot and 50% silver, providing the Drake also has a half-gene of ACG.

The Americans are currently importing top silvers into the USA, to get the correct standard, as their silvers heads have too much graining (around the eyes.)

The silver is classed as a ‘Silver’ type call duck and an abacot call duck is classed as a ‘Marked Silver’ call duck.

I’ve included a photo of my prize winning abacot Drake (Best in the country in 2017) and abacot duck. I’ve also included a photo of the silver duck who is the mum to mine, as comparison.

Hope this helps!

93A1CE6C-8B82-4BBE-AF01-AA6C23E580CC.jpeg 99D46D34-3DFB-4627-BC5B-4A68C57DC940.jpeg 7314D23D-5F23-4BBF-AAFA-BD9730BB84D8.jpeg 7C1C8960-D40D-4BA6-9F0A-BA0F057013D5.png Some photos!
All of them are abacots apart from the magazine duck. All of the birds are mine, apart from the magazine silver, who is the mum to mine.
Let me know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom