Able to still get over fence...

ChickPrincess

Songster
7 Years
Jul 6, 2012
Canandaigua NY
I have 3 pullets who are escape artists. I have a four foot plastic poultry fence, and even after clipping their wings they are still able to make it over the fence. I know I clipped the wings properly and I don't dare go any shorter (it's just below the next "set" of feathers).
It doesn't bother me that they escape, but I worry that once I go back to work in September they may go all day without water and shelter. They spend the time they are out trying to get back in. DUH!
Any suggestions? Oh, and I did only clip one side.

I also use the 4 ft. poultry fence for my daytime run. We put deer netting over the top of it, securing the netting at each fence post. Deer netting is inexpensive and works great.

Would it be possible to put netting over the top? If not, there is also something called brailing, involves wrapping one of the wings with a soft rope, called a brail, so it inhibits the chicken's ability to fly. This has to be undone sometimes to make sure it is not too tight and the wing doesn't get too atrophied.

I also use the 4 ft. poultry fence for my daytime run. We put deer netting over the top of it, securing the netting at each fence post. Deer netting is inexpensive and works great.

Do you mean as a roof? My run is way to big to be feasible. :( My fenced in area is like 75' x 100'.

I'd put something on top of the 4 foot fence that the chickens can kind of see, but that doesn't look sturdy and that they can't be positive how high it goes. Like running one more string of something a foot higher than the current fence, with some plastic ties hanging down. They may still try, but after running into it a few times, and not knowing how high to try to fly to avoid it, they should give up. (At that point you could take it down if you wanted to.)

Yeah, I think I'm going to need to add to the height of the fence with something. I'll have to somehow add to the fenceposts. I'll figure something out!
Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom