joanc

Songster
14 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Shafer, MN
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc3/joanchickens/Soft-shelleddoubleegg.jpg
Good
day all,
I had an abnormal egg yesterday. I have 10 hens that are laying (out of 25) and up until now they have all had extra hard shells on all the eggs.
So yesterday after I let them out to free range I heard a huge squawk and came over to that area to find this on the ground. This is also the first time an egg has been laid out of a nest.
I guess if a hen had a double egg with hard shells the squawk would have been much louder. I don't know which hen laid this as it was out of sight and there were several candidates in the area (support group?). Anyhow, they have had oyster shell free choice. Is it possible that the energy that would usually produce a shell went into producing the 2nd egg?
This is a first for me, but I'm fairly new to chickens.
Has anybody else experienced somthing similar? Thanks for any comments.

Wow, I've never seen one like that before! Kind of like a string of pearls, huh?

Double shelled, misshapen, tiny eggs, soft shelled or shelless eggs are nothing to worry about. They happen fairly often, so don't be freaked out when you see them. They can be caused by any number of things as they are being formed, but the greater number of them are laid by hens that have nothing wrong with them. I've been told that sometimes a bit of the white will break loolse from the egg as it's being formed and will be treated like a separate egg. Sometimes stress plays a factor in it.

I had one hen that was consistently laying tiny eggs with no yolk (air eggs or rooster eggs), and then she laid this one. Talk about being surprised!

weird_egg.jpg

The only abnormals I've had where a soft shell, 2 "wind eggs" and giant double yolkers.

Y'alls eggs look crazy! I've read that it's completely normal to get a funky egg every once in a while. I wouldn't worry about it.

I got a soft shell a couple of months ago, and the family thought that was the weirdest thing. It was all rubbery, so I set it in the egg tray in the fridge with a dent in the big end like it would look with in the shell. When one of them found it, they were calling me in the kitchen asking what was up with the rubber egg. The reaction was priceless!

Oh, and here is the famous "Tailed Egg" that my Lorelei laid during her time of heat stress and the onset of her molt, right after she laid the contents of an egg without membrane or shell. Thought I would lose her, but she's fat and sassy and fine now.
DCP_7881.jpg

Back
Top Bottom