??? about silkies

lindamass15

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 23, 2007
My question is what is the biggest silkies breed? I'm want to get some but with three little necies(3, 4, 6) running around all the tikme and touching everything little pet that I have, I need to get something a little bigger.

I have little knowledge about them other than black pig. skin, have 5 toes, also very small.

help me!!!!

linda

I'm giving this a bump for you. I'm not an expert in Silkies, but I think they basically come in one size, although Im sure there is variation from bird to bird.

They are not extrememly small for a 'bantam' breed, but are smaller than standard (regular sized) chickens. They typically grow out to be around 2lbs weight, vs 4-5lbs and up for the typical standard breeds.

Oh, and they are terribly cute. I've got some silkies in my grow out pen - if you click the link below for my chickNcam you'll see them during eastern time daylight hours in the smaller pen to the right. My silkies are about 9 wks old now. Most of the larger chickens you see are heavy breed standards that are full grown.

Last edited:
What does it mean to give something a bump?

I have silkies with a five year old and a two year old. Needless to say, they are very coveted by both. They also love the bantam cochins. The silkies are pretty fast, and wily. I haven't had any problems with the kids being too rough. If they know they are smaller then the other chickens, they tend to be a bit more gentle. They are great brooders. I had heard that from someone when I got my first one. Now I know it to be true. Today I have a day old that my white silky had hatch. This is my second hatching with silkies. The first one would steal other eggs to sit on. She had two babies, neither one was silkie.

Rachel

In the US they do basically come in one size. They are my DD's (2 1/2 yr old) favorite breed. They are easy for her to catch, she loves their soft feathers and she carries them all over the place.
I think they make great little pets.

A bump just means to reply to a thread that hasn't had any responses in a while.

Posting a new response 'bumps' the thread back up to the top of the 'recent posts' page so more people are likely to see it.

smile.png

Silkies in the US are all "bantam" but are larger than the European "bantam" as they also have a "standard."

Most hatchery Silkies here are between 1.5-2.5 lbs, at least from my experience, and there is variation between each bird and strain. To me that is tiny... but that's because all my other birds are standards between 6-10 lbs.

To Bump a post means to post in it so that it goes to the top of the forum again.

Quote:
To post on a thread it so it moves to the top of recent posts.
smile.png

Oops I'm a slow typer...someone already beat me to it...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom