About those raphides and nitrates...

crowdofmyself

Songster
Jun 10, 2018
Athens, GA
http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

I've been going through the list of toxic plants posted from another thread and am horrified by how many of them I have growing in my yard already! What I'm wondering is if those that are listed as having plant raphides that will irritate the mouths of chickens are likely to be avoided by the chickens after they try them once. Things like my taro....

There are many plants, like chickweed (which we have in abundance) and cabbage, kale, and mustard that are listed as "may contain toxic levels of nitrates." Well, where would those toxic levels of nitrates come from? Are they naturally occurring, or is it that those plants might take up nitrates if grown in an area with nitrates in the soil? And can that be tested for?

I know people say chickens will eat anything. Do they not have any sense at all when it comes to plants that might give them an immediate unpleasant experience (like those with raphides)?

To be quite honest, many of us face this same concern. If my pasture had to be free of every plant they list as "toxic" then I would never own chickens, goats or any other animal.

Just make sure you get rid of what you KNOW is really bad and don't lock them in a run with access only to the other toxic plants.

Lots of things are over stated... for example people will say Tomato is a nightshade and a problem. I say hogwash... tomato IS in the nightshade family bit is not the same thing as deadly nightshade and I have not YET seen a chicken have an issue from consuming tomato plants down to the dirt. :confused:

Yes chickens will eat ALMOST anything. But they are foraging much in the same way goats browse... they don't stay focused in one area. They keep moving.

Try not to worry too much. ;)

To be quite honest, many of us face this same concern. If my pasture had to be free of every plant they list as "toxic" then I would never own chickens, goats or any other animal....

Try not to worry too much. ;)

I was thinking the same thing when I posted this..."I would never own chickens...."

Thank you for saying not to worry too much. Your advice that they not be locked in a run with no choice of what they eat (i.e., just toxic stuff) is excellent!

I too have toxic plants growing everywhere. I have watched my birds, being concerned about this very thing! However mine will actually taste the plant quick like before actually ingesting, putting their beaks in the foliage before tearing it off. They seem to be able to recognize what is toxic and what is safe to eat by taste. And as long as they aren't starving to death, a well fed chicken will avoid toxic plants.

And remember, very few plants are so toxic that just a touch of their tongues and they die. A bird would have to consume quite a bit of a toxic plants to make them ill. Nature seems to have this ability built in and avoid what is toxic. Its funny, all the good stuff in the yard is eaten leaving dirt and all kinds of pretty wildflower and weeds, obviously toxic. Smart birds! :D

My partner grew up raising 60,000 broilers, and he keeps telling me how really stupid chickens are. (He is quite down on me getting chickens, but there's a big difference between a few loved hens and a crowded house full of poorly treated meat birds.) So I'm quite relieved to hear you say they are smart.

My partner grew up raising 60,000 broilers, and he keeps telling me how really stupid chickens are. (He is quite down on me getting chickens, but there's a big difference between a few loved hens and a crowded house full of poorly treated meat birds.) So I'm quite relieved to hear you say they are smart.

Chickens are quite smart and were created as any other animal to survive and were given all natural instincts to thrive. But, many of them can be fearful and of course fear causes animals and birds to panic or do crazy things, hence looking stupid. If you spend quality time with your birds, interact with them, sit with them around you or on your lap, a person discovers just how sensitive, intelligent, attention seekers they are. All of them have individual personalities and some really crave human interaction! My birds know their names and come when called, they know a few quick words like "buggies" (mealworms) and "go outside" (free ranging) They all run to the door when they even hear the word outside! :D Some mourn the loss of flock mates. So don't let anyone convince you chickens are dumb or stupid. They are as intelligent as we give them the opportunity to be. :)

Good description given above. Some are stupid... others are not. HUGE difference between back yard pets that happen to lay eggs and building full of eating, pooing machines that know nothing different. He will be pleasantly surprised and maybe even find himself enjoying hens after all.

They do indeed have personality and ability to learn some stuff! A few of mine do recognize their name and will respond. Chickens are capable of recognizing up to 100 faces!

They DO have sensitivity and are capable of showing concern for each other. I once had a young cockerel take advantage of pullet when the head hen came to her rescue and chased that boy off, even beat him up just a little. Then proceeded to ask the young girl (in chickenese of course :p) if she was ok! It was one of the cutest things I witnessed. They can be such brutal beehives towards each other sometimes. That being said, I have raised well over 100 birds and not all are created equal.

I guess kinda off topic, but check out these links for some quick comparisons of many breeds....
http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

https://livestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/pickachicken.pdf

I can't recommend Speckled Sussex enough. Other favorites are Marans and Rocks. Easter Eggers are great birds most the time. :pop

Good description given above. Some are stupid... others are not. HUGE difference between back yard pets that happen to lay eggs and building full of eating, pooing machines that know nothing different. He will be pleasantly surprised and maybe even find himself enjoying hens after all.:pop

This is my hope!

In my first chicken-keeping effort years ago, I had a Speckled Sussex named Suzie, and she was awesome. Also, my dear, dear Hannah, a Cuckoo Marans. But I'm in Zone 8A and trying to get hens that are better with heat. Climate change and all that...I figure the heat's going to get worse, not better, where I live in Athens, GA.

I laughed when you said Easter Eggers are good chickens "most of the time." I once had an Easter Egger named Becky who was the most insanely neurotic animal I've ever had the pleasure to know! Thanks for posting the "off topic" links to the different bird types. I'm looking for heat resilience and personality, mostly, and enough eggs out of three to four hens for a couple to eat. Also, I talk to myself all the time out in the garden, and maybe the neighbors won't think I'm so weird if I can claim I'm talking to my peeps...LOL!

I'm not saying it's 100% safe to let them free range in an area with toxic plants, however, I like to think that animals somehow know what they can eat and what they can't, otherwise there would be dead wild animals all over the place. There are some plants my chickens pick and eat down to the ground through their fence and other plants they don't eat at all. I'm assuming that they somehow know that some of the plants are good for them and some are bad.

Back
Top Bottom