Abscess in chicken's cheek and mouth. Canker- remedies?

erikatiffani

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
I noticed several days ago that one of my chickens had a bit of a bump by her mouth. I have been hesitant to take her to the vet without first doing some research, but since I am still rather new to raising chickens, any and all help is appreciated. This chicken is a silver laced wyandotte and is a little over a year old. Since I have noticed this growth, the chicken has also become aggressive with her friend, and does not want to share food. The other chicken was actually more dominant until recently. I am also going to attach some images of the chicken. Any natural home remedies would be greatly appreciated.

Notice the left side in the picture is the swollen side, compared to a normal right side.

Last edited:
Have you looked inside her mouth for any lesions or any other substances that shouldnt be there? If there are, a pic of the inside of her mouth or a description of what it looks like would help.

Just took a picture of it. So it has a lesion and black and yellow/white growth that is in between her mouth and her cheek. Any ideas on a good cleanser that would be safe for us to put on it to help her get rid of the infection?

So my conclusion is that this is Canker in her mouth. Other than taking her to a vet and giving her antibiotics, which I am not really for, since this is not a bacterial infection, is there anyone out there that has had success with canker using homeopathic remedies?

Also should I separate her from her other adult friend? We have a group of chicks also that are separated but not sure if we should stick the healthy adult with the chicks. I have looked into copper sulfate to give the healthy flock to make sure they do not become infected. I am not sure yet where to buy it though. The chicks and adults free range together and have drank from the same water this week, so I really dont want my other chickens to get infected.

Is canker contagious? I have a hen that started with a lump like this on her cheek and it had a scab on it and I was able to get the scab off and a kernel came out with the scab. just assumed it was staph like bumblefoot

Thanks for the useful information. I have read that Copper Sulfate is good for prevention of the other birds. I also found a local tropical fish place that sells Metronidazole. I suppose I should choose one or the other, but have read good things about both. As for the canker itself, would it be best to leave it alone, or to try and get some of the "cheese" off. I have read to take off the cheese then administer giving the meds, but not sure if it would be painful, or beneficial, or just to let it heal on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom