Academic article states sprouted fodder not economical on commercial scale

It's important to get Drench into them at hatch. that's important because we do not want that chick using the yolk Sac for energy. the yolk Sac is biologically reserved for development of the muscles and the GI tract.
When the chick has to use it for energy either because:
they are being shipped; or because the breeder is holding off on first feed for 24 hours ;or because someone believes the awful myth that the yolk Sac is feed for the chick for the 1st 24 to 48 hours ;this puts the chick at a nutritional disadvantage.
Giving them Drench from the get-go prevents this problem. reserves the yolk Sac for muscle and GI tract development. Remember , the extent of proper, timely GI tract development has a direct effect upon the development of the immune system itself .
Best,
Karen

Somewhere out there on BYC someone is considering..... People with shipped chicks worry when their chicks show up weak or die of travel stress a couple days later or don't seem to grow up as robust chicks or seem shallower in the breast other than chicks of that breed... somewhere, somebody is wondering ......why?

I agree with you Karen, on the benefit of PND, especially for hatchlings. Last year, I ordered chicks. No matter where shipped chicks come from, I am at the end of the line. There are no hatcheries near me, and as far as USPS goes, my chicks sat at every single airport they passed through for an extra 12 hours. This resulted in at least 2 extra days in transit compared to the "norm". IMO, I was blessed that I only lost 2 chicks. Am confident that the losses would have been greater w/o PND.

As for home hatched chicks, I put my breeders on multi vits before collecting eggs. The chicks are removed from bator as they dry, and offered water with PND, and feed right away. No one told these chicks that they should wait 48 hours before eating or drinking. They start playing with the food and water very early!

That is very wise lazygardener . I have lost track of the number of studies out there lauding the benefits of early feeding (within 6 hours of hatch). from all over the world they're publishing studies on the benefits of feeding within 6 hours of hatch and on the disadvantages to the chicks of waiting more than 24 hours to feed the chicks.
A lot of these Studies have to do with creating more robust GI tracts so that they can raise these birds without antibiotics . the question is " what happens in the chicks development between the time they're hatched and the time they reach the broiler Farms brooders. This can be between 24 and 36 hours ( closely parallels our situation with shipped chicks in the United States). What can we do to ensure the GI tract development in the chick remains on course (or is even stimulated) during this transition time from incubator to brooder?
Granted, these are purpose-bred Broiler chicks with the 42-day lifespan . However ,in many ways , a chick is a chick is a chick. I believe we can translate many of the advantages being discovered for Broiler chicks into the raising of our own backyard flocks. Experts are finding out that it is not just "what " supplements you give, it's "when" you give them.
The key seems to be interdicting the developmental timeline of the GI tract at the proper 'time' with the 'desired' supplement.
Interestingly, there seem now to be three fields of thought/research on this.
1. Find a Magic Bullet formula to inject into
( in ovo ) the albium (sp?) of the egg on day 17 and a half to give the chick an extra nutritious meal before it hatches. thus assuring that the yolk Sac is totally used for development of the muscles and the GI tract. They have found that doing this creates an epigenetic effect that lays more muscle on the breast of the chicken than its genetics would indicate. This ability to lay more muscle on the breast is an epigenetic trait that is inherited by the birds' children.
2. In studying ways to grow more robust chickens on Lower quality feed, researchers have discovered that withholding feed with a certain protocol for 6 hours after hatch creates an epigenetic effect where the bird will be robust on Lower quality feed. I don't recall just now whether this epigenetic change is inheritable. This is exciting for raisers in countries where the the feed is lower quality or consists of only a few elements like Wheat and corn. Frankly, I see it being of less use here in the United States where we have access to so much top quality feed.
3. Early feeding,...that we discussed earlier. Feeding within 6 hours of hatch and the positive effects it has on the chicks development and heavier weight at Slaughter. The positive effects of early feeding are seen throughout the birds lifetime. I do not recall right now if this is an epigenetic or developmental effect and whether it is inheritable.
In the scheme of things this is all very recent research. the greater majority of advanced research coming since the year 2000.
We are blessed that Mega websites like "all about feed " and ""Biomin" and "World poultry" (or is it poultry world ?, I can never remember) are available to the general public so that we can keep up on these exciting advances in chick raising.
Best ,
Karen

Last edited:
I am of two thoughts about the giving of supplements and probiotics. :)

If a person is getting broiler chicks or laying hens for their personal use...and not for breeding stock, I agree on the merits of using a Nutridrench etc in the chicks water to assist in the development of robust birds. I don't doubt that such additives will assist those chicks, especially those that have been in transit.

But my concern is about one is breeding stock; poultry or whatever various livestock one may have. My concern is that using these additives give a false positive to breeding stock who may not be as good as they seem in the long run or produce as robust offspring that can flourish under less than perfect conditions when purchased by a regular producer or someone new who is learning. It's something I've seen often where top producers breed animals that look fantastic and show well...but those animals or their offspring can't perform under regular management conditions. It ends up being bad for that species of animal/poultry or that particular breed. It takes time and effort to select and produce breeding stock with excellent, well-rounded genetics. This is not conducive to making profits in the first few years which is the biggest drawback to breeders putting in that effort. But in the long run, it is the way to secure the breeding stock which will stand and perform.

I think additives should be used only to enhance the performance of carefully selected genetics...and not a replacement for carefully selected genetics. Science wants to create a magic solution to the issues being created by the lack of selection and culling that is not being carried out judiciously. We're eventually going to end up with animals and birds that won't be able to survive without constant intervention and assistance.

I am of two thoughts about the giving of supplements and probiotics. :)

If a person is getting broiler chicks or laying hens for their personal use...and not for breeding stock, I agree on the merits of using a Nutridrench etc in the chicks water to assist in the development of robust birds. I don't doubt that such additives will assist those chicks, especially those that have been in transit.

But my concern is about one is breeding stock; poultry or whatever various livestock one may have. My concern is that using these additives give a false positive to breeding stock who may not be as good as they seem in the long run or produce as robust offspring that can flourish under less than perfect conditions when purchased by a regular producer or someone new who is learning. It's something I've seen often where top producers breed animals that look fantastic and show well...but those animals or their offspring can't perform under regular management conditions. It ends up being bad for that species of animal/poultry or that particular breed. It takes time and effort to select and produce breeding stock with excellent, well-rounded genetics. This is not conducive to making profits in the first few years which is the biggest drawback to breeders putting in that effort. But in the long run, it is the way to secure the breeding stock which will stand and perform.

I think additives should be used only to enhance the performance of carefully selected genetics...and not a replacement for carefully selected genetics. Science wants to create a magic solution to the issues being created by the lack of selection and culling that is not being carried out judiciously. We're eventually going to end up with animals and birds that won't be able to survive without constant intervention and assistance.
:goodpost:

Hi Wicked chicken, I agree with you I was not advocating creating some kind of hot house poultry couldn't exist in the regular world. that was not my intent.
My intent is to create a stronger bird that can thrive in a less than perfect world because it has the best foundation upon which its GI tract can develop and thus its immune system. I'm talking about creating a better Bird that can survive in a less than perfect world. Using the genetics of the bird at hand, hopefully carefully selected for high quality, and helping create a better physiological environment upon which it can develop so that we end up with a bird that will Thrive with its new owners.
I did it in Collie dogs and I think I can do this in chickens too. Chicks are much more complicated than puppies. The basic tenets of the protocol are the same. But the method of delivery is completely different.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom