Access Door to Run -- Necessary?

Could make a small door with extra 2x4's and some hinges. Doesn't have to be fancy. seeing that the run will only be 4' tall its really not gonna be difficult.
This is what I'm thinking -- will be barely any additional supplies or work.
Aren't you going to have some sort of run floor cover like mulch/straw/leaves/whatever and need to get into the run to replace material or clean? If it is just bare dirt or concrete, don't you still need to get in there to rake/hose it sometimes?

If you peel back some hardware cloth over and over, won't that weaken the cloth and the wood supports a lot?
Well, we had been planning on having the bottom of the run be hardware cloth (on top of the ground, which is dirt). But now I'm thinking that won't allow them to scratch enough, and maybe we should do the hardware cloth out as an apron instead of enclosing the bottom? I want to be sure we're predator-proof since we have green-space behind us and have quite a few. I fully agree re: the need for a door to the run, it's problematic for a number of reasons otherwise.

Your run might be 4ft tall but make your door about 6ft tall so you do not have to bend way over every time you go in/out!
That won't happen at this point (the short sides are already made)...and it will be flush against the side of the coop (shed), with roof edges that limit the height of the run. But we will be incorporating a door for sure with all this feedback. The coop is where the feed/water/dust bath will be and is walk-in.

Welcome! I'll be waiting to hear how long it takes for all of you to HATE the 4' run height! Bending over to be in there, cleaning it out, miserable! My old run was tall enough (8') but had two 2' wide doors, so not easy to get things in and out. The run upgrade included 3' wide doors, wonderful!

I agree. 4 feet height in the run would make me miserable having to bend over every time I go in. I am constantly in the run area checking feeders, waterers, scraping poo off roosts and cleaning out the dust bathing tub. And yes, add the door!

My coop co-planner and I disagree on whether we need some sort of access door/hatch to our run. We will have a large walk-in coop (a converted shed), which has a chicken-size door accessing the run. The run will be 4'tall, 8'wide, 12'long, made of hardware cloth affixed to 2x4s on all sides.

My husband thinks in the event we needed to get into the run we can just undo a few feet of the hardware cloth from the wood and peel it open. I think we need a permanent and easier solution of a hatch or side door that a human can fit through if needed to access the interior (hurt chicken, etc...).

Your thoughts?
Just wondering - If you have a large walk-in coop, why did you not make the run taller and more comfortable for you? I bet you will want to spend some time in there with them. And to change out their water etc.

Back
Top Bottom