Accidentally acquired a rooster

GreatLakesFungi

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2024
Northern Michigan
Greetings from Northern Michigan!

My husband and I recently bought a home, which unexpectedly came with the a rooster in the barn. It also came with a female turkey, but she didn't survive the first night...

My husband, who grew up raising chickens in Virginia knew enough to get us started, but there is plenty we still need to learn.

So after declaring him the winner of 2023 Chicken Survivor, I decided to call him Trevor. I then declared that if he survived the winter, we'd get him some hens.

Trevor has indeed survived the winter, so we got him 9 chicks. 8 have survived, and within the next week we will be renovating an old shed to be their coop. I'm looking forward to designing it to be cozy and engaging, as winters here are long and cold.

Trevor currently resides in the barn, which isn't an optimal setup (he's endured a little bit of frostbite from when the plastic sheeting was ripped away via wind), but it's the best we could do with such little notice.

The pullet are doing well in their box for another week or two. I've been sitting with them on my lap for 30 minute increments lately.

From what I've been able to tell, Trevor is just about a year and a half old, and is a Black Copper Maran. He's a looker and has quite a sweet, docile personality now that I've gained his trust.

He really likes to follow me around the yard as I do chores, and will often crow for me when he hears me outside the barn during rainy/cold days.

I've found he's a social creature that desires interaction, so I will usually sit in the barn and read my phone while slipping him some mealworms. He's good company.

In lieu of other chickens this winter, he befriended a very large Suffolk Rabbit that likes to visit the barn, often scooting up close to him on colder days. They shared apples, carrots, and bread a few times this winter.

Trevor initially was skeptical of me and hesitant to approach, but seemed to take some cues from his rabbit friend and began to take my offerings of food. After a few weeks I had him taking food from my hand, and now he allows me to lightly stroke his breastbone. It's a huge victory for me.

On some of the warmer days that Trevor has been able to go outside, I've taken dried mealworms and buried them in a shallow spot. He gets delighted when he finds them - spins in a circle and clucks happily.

He is still adjusting to my dogs, one of which is a 14yr old Brittany (bird dog), so that's been a chore to have her not habitually chase him around the yard. The other is Swiss Mountain Dog, who is also elderly, but unlike my Brittany just desperately wishes to play with Trevor.

I'm not sure i have any questions just yet, but I'm looking forward to being able to read more about rooster and hen behavior/body language.

I have a Twitter account where I post images of fungi, nature, and Trevor daily: GreatLakesFungi is the handle.

I've attached a few candid headshots of my boy.

I look forward to meeting you all.
GLF

Attachments

• 20240313_133342.jpg
    20240313_133342.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20240313_133340.jpg
    20240313_133340.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

First, love Northern Michigan! My hubbies grandfather used to have a cabin on Douglas Lake. I remember visiting there, over the Mackinac Bridge, the UP and to Mackinac Island! Gorgeous territory up there!

Trevor is adorable, ❤ thanks for sharing his story!

Best wishes with your new home and all your poultry plans!

Greetings from Northern Michigan!

My husband and I recently bought a home, which unexpectedly came with the a rooster in the barn. It also came with a female turkey, but she didn't survive the first night...

My husband, who grew up raising chickens in Virginia knew enough to get us started, but there is plenty we still need to learn.

So after declaring him the winner of 2023 Chicken Survivor, I decided to call him Trevor. I then declared that if he survived the winter, we'd get him some hens.

Trevor has indeed survived the winter, so we got him 9 chicks. 8 have survived, and within the next week we will be renovating an old shed to be their coop. I'm looking forward to designing it to be cozy and engaging, as winters here are long and cold.

Trevor currently resides in the barn, which isn't an optimal setup (he's endured a little bit of frostbite from when the plastic sheeting was ripped away via wind), but it's the best we could do with such little notice.

The pullet are doing well in their box for another week or two. I've been sitting with them on my lap for 30 minute increments lately.

From what I've been able to tell, Trevor is just about a year and a half old, and is a Black Copper Maran. He's a looker and has quite a sweet, docile personality now that I've gained his trust.

He really likes to follow me around the yard as I do chores, and will often crow for me when he hears me outside the barn during rainy/cold days.

I've found he's a social creature that desires interaction, so I will usually sit in the barn and read my phone while slipping him some mealworms. He's good company.

In lieu of other chickens this winter, he befriended a very large Suffolk Rabbit that likes to visit the barn, often scooting up close to him on colder days. They shared apples, carrots, and bread a few times this winter.

Trevor initially was skeptical of me and hesitant to approach, but seemed to take some cues from his rabbit friend and began to take my offerings of food. After a few weeks I had him taking food from my hand, and now he allows me to lightly stroke his breastbone. It's a huge victory for me.

On some of the warmer days that Trevor has been able to go outside, I've taken dried mealworms and buried them in a shallow spot. He gets delighted when he finds them - spins in a circle and clucks happily.

He is still adjusting to my dogs, one of which is a 14yr old Brittany (bird dog), so that's been a chore to have her not habitually chase him around the yard. The other is Swiss Mountain Dog, who is also elderly, but unlike my Brittany just desperately wishes to play with Trevor.

I'm not sure i have any questions just yet, but I'm looking forward to being able to read more about rooster and hen behavior/body language.

I have a Twitter account where I post images of fungi, nature, and Trevor daily: @GreatLakesFungi is the handle.

I've attached a few candid headshots of my boy.

I look forward to meeting you all.
GLF
I love him he is so handsome! I love his furry "eyebrows."

Back
Top Bottom