Acting *Does anyone know much about Governor's School?*

Just like other kinds of artists, most actors (even when they are amazing) and singers think that they are horrible. That's just part of it. As artists, we are all filled with self-doubt, but that self-doubt is part of why we improve. It's a blessing and a curse.

My eldest son is heavily involved in theater, as are a number of his friends. I know many many theater kids. When you get them all together they are loads of fun and seem very confident. But in reality, when dealing with the public many many are very shy. They can get up on stage and lay it on the line for hours, but the meet and greet fills them with terror. It's different when you are acting, being a character. In all honesty, you are just too busy to think about the audience. You are in the moment with the rest of the cast and crew. Don't fret about it, just do it. It may or may not help you to get over your shyness (it did my son), but it will be an amazing experience regardless.

Have fun!

Quote:
M says that too. She doesn't want me worrying about measuring up to her. She says to just have fun with it and I'll be surprised. She said I might even have some hidden talent.

I guess maybe I really should do this. Besides, I won't have to worry about making a fool of myself in front of M. She won't be there next year.

Just like other kinds of artists, most actors (even when they are amazing) and singers think that they are horrible. That's just part of it. As artists, we are all filled with self-doubt, but that self-doubt is part of why we improve. It's a blessing and a curse.

I've noticed that. Several of my very talented friends, whom I think are definitely good enough to become famous some day, think they are horrible.​

Kargo, take it from another drama teacher. Shyness has nothing to do with how well you'll do onstage. I've put some very shy people in some very demanding roles. I've also put some very outgoing people in very minimal roles. It all depends on personality, maturity level, etc. Obviously people are seeing something in you that you are having trouble seeing yourself. You'll see another side to yourself. Just try out. What could possibly happen?

I've always had trouble believing that I could write well at all (I don't show how well I CAN write in my posts, just because if I did, I would never actually get around to posting...), but then I wound up with a mentor. She was my tenth grade English teacher, and incidentally my drama teacher as well. She's still encouraging me and mentoring me. I graduated 10 years ago. Maybe that will happen to you with the theatre stuff. You'll wind up with a mentor that you will stay in touch with throughout life.

Quote:
Shy person in a demanding role? Sounds like M. She played Dorothy in Wizard of Oz this year, and you ask the drama teacher's wife, drama teacher, choir teacher, or anyone, and they'll tell you she was very shy before the play.

I think I've decided to do it. It kind of boils down to M. I'm putting my trust in her. She's telling me I'll be just fine, and I believe her. She's definitely like a mentor to me.

Kargo the very first time I published something I was in the ninth grade.

There was an English teacher who saw something in me that even I
didn't know was there.

But she could see it in me.

And in her sight, I became alive. She pushed me in to my life fighting
and screaming. Writing, and acting, have been such an important part
of my life.

You know, I just realized something. Something I've wanted to do since I was really young is put myself into other people's shoes. Sometimes I'm in the middle of a room full of people, and I think to myself, "Wow. There are other people in this room, and we're all thinking at the same time, all probably about different things." That's probably why I write, to put myself in someone else's shoes. Will this come in handy for acting?

I've always liked doing things that made me feel a little like I could experience a similar situation to the one a friend was going through. I guess maybe if it helps me in acting, that'd be cool.

*Update*
So I've decided I'll do it. M tells me she's positive that once I've gotten used to it, I'll have so much fun. M has also promised to pray for me when I audition, and to help me out. I suggested to her that we get together one day and just do some reading. I guess I'm thinking cold reading. I've done enough research that I know what a cold reading is, a monologue, and a slate. A dictionary full of other acting terms would be pretty helpful. What do you all suggest I do with M to help me practice? I know she's pretty experienced, so I get the idea that she'll be full of helpful pointers and stuff.

It's all great that I decided to try this. Just one problem. I know NOTHING about acting except that I'd like to try it and I'd probably have a lot of fun, and maybe even be good at it. If any of you know anything about acting, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
This is me reading a monologue....what do you all think? I want to sort of be critiqued. I need to know what to work on.

Don't worry so much, Kargo, you're psyching yourself out
smile.png
You'll have fun, and you'll stretch your horizons, and what you discover will be priceless! I started doing theatre stuff when I was 6. By the time I was 9 I was doing summer stock in Chicago and by the time I was 15 I discovered that my main talent wasn't in acting (as an 18 year old a well-known director told me quite bluntly that I would never make it because I'm not commercially beautiful and suggested I try character work instead . . . at least YOUR teachers are telling you a happy truth!) and I discovered the world of technical theatre.

I've been a stage manager (that's the person you'll meet who's kind of like the assistant to the whole show, and when the play is actually going on, they're the ones who know when to call for cues and when to tell the stagehands to change sets and so on) for 18 years.

There's nothing else on this earth like the feeling you get after a performance. Being able to move the audience to tears or laughter or any one of a zillion emotions, there's just nothing like it.

And speaking of shy, the only thing I can tell you is that you are not alone. There are plenty of professional actors who are shy and who also have loads of self esteem issues.

Johnny Depp cannot watch himself on screen. He says it makes him "deeply uncomfortable". It's G-d's truth! Think about that the next time you feel like you can't do it. If somebody like him has issues, that must mean that it's perfectly ok to have issues and yet go for it.

Oh, Mr Depp also admitted in an Irish interview regarding Sweeney Todd that he was "terrified" (that's a direct quote) throughout most of the filming of Sweeney Todd. Before that, he had never sung on-stage, he didn't know if he could sing or not, he was dreadfully worried that he was going to let Tim Burton down, and, well, to put it briefly, he sounded a lot like you do.
smile.png
Johnny also said that he felt like his singing (or lack thereof) was THE thing on which the success of Sweeney stood -- if his singing was crap, the movie would fail.

No pressure, huh?

Now, if somebody who is as famous and talented and intelligent and experienced as Johnny Depp has issues . . .

Just go and do it anyway, in spite of your doubts and fears and worries. Every journey starts with a small step.

And here's some practical advice regarding auditions:

1) Be on time. Directors figure if you're late for an audition, that you're not taking it seriously, and you won't take your role seriously.

2) Dress in a way that they ask for. If they say 'Dress for movement' they want you to wear something you can run, dance, jump, etc in, so high heels and a tight skirt aren't appropriate. Otherwise, wear something that will show off who you are without turning people off, in other words, no skimpy attire or wild hair dye or something.

3) Pick a monologue (or whatever it is they ask for, a song or whatnot) that shows you off to your best ability. Pick something you know like the back of your hand, so you can concentrate on acting rather than remembering your lines.

4) Be polite. It doesn't matter if you're auditioning in front of people you see every day, or your friends, or whoever. An audition is a formal affair, without the long dresses and tuxedos. Manners count.

5) Whatever you pick to show the director, make sure it has something to do with the show. If it's a classic musical, pick a song in that style. If it's Shakespeare, pick a Shakespearean speech. Etc. Directors like people who do their research.

6) And finally, remember the phrase "Fake it till you make it". Directors want to see somebody who has a lot of confidence, who smiles and talks normally, who doesn't hide out or is shaking like a leaf. They won't eat you. They want to see the best of who you are, so show off, even if you have to fake the confidence a little.

Break a leg! (That's theatre talk for "Good luck")

Whitewater

Back
Top Bottom