Adapting to Change - New Family & Garage Transformation in Progress

Have a garage sale Laura. Take out anything you care about or is of obvious value then open the door and put up a sign that says "make an offer". No pain of organizing and pricing everything and people would just try to haggle you down on every item anyway.

You can't really insulate the inside of the garage door panels very well since it is on a track. Each piece would have to be beveled so the door can still roll up. The non permanent wall sounds like a better option though I'm not sure how you could build it so the door can still operate. I guess it could work if the wall is no higher than the bottom of the track. IF you intend for the door to NOT operate at all, it could be built with notches to go around the track; take the opener and it's track out totally and store it somewhere.

Have a garage sale Laura. Take out anything you care about or is of obvious value then open the door and put up a sign that says "make an offer". No pain of organizing and pricing everything and people would just try to haggle you down on every item anyway.

You can't really insulate the inside of the garage door panels very well since it is on a track. Each piece would have to be beveled so the door can still roll up. The non permanent wall sounds like a better option though I'm not sure how you could build it so the door can still operate. I guess it could work if the wall is no higher than the bottom of the track. IF you intend for the door to NOT operate at all, it could be built with notches to go around the track; take the opener and it's track out totally and store it somewhere.  

Well, the plan was to have a stage sale, but my issue was that I don't have all that much time for one (Saturdays are precious days for work and cleaning) and that there is so much stuff in the garage that I'm not sure I'll be allowed to sell. Hence the new attic space mania.

Also, I bet you've never haggled with a group of bargain-hunting Hispanic people bent on getting everything for free. Last year was super tough. I had a woman insulting my intelligence and it happens every time I sell stuff. That would be my Saturday and I won't do it again unless I have Bilingual-Backup (read: mama) and she might not have time since she's working on an important quilt.

As for insulating, mostly we are dealing with heat problems. Reflective board insulation (ideal for metal garage doors) are a good choice for my climate and it still allows the garage door to be opened. It's super easy to install, too.

I'm still thinking about the wall, but I don't think it's a good idea. It just seems kinda superfluous if we possibly want to use the garage as a workspace in the future. Having a door that opens that much would allow us to move big furniture in and out without much hassle.

I'm still having someone come in, though, to give me more ideas on how this would work. I don't have all that much time. Turns out I'm leaving in May 3rd for someone's graduation (I was volunteered for the position of navigator against my will) and right after I come back, I'll be leaving on May 7th to bring my little brother home from college. There is too much stuff to do and too little time.

I'm off the garage!

Update!

I've been working largely on my own these past several days (which has made progress super slow because I don't have a truck, can't lift some of the heavier things on my own, and wasn't sure at all what I could get rid of without getting in trouble. Luckily, today my sister and her boyfriend came over and helped me out!
BEFORE

AFTER (SO FAR)

I know it doesn't look like much of a difference, but we moved out a truckload of junk today and have moved about 20 boxes into the attic (with still loads more space and boxes to go). My sis' BF actually removed an old water softener that hasn't been in use and some other useless water things from the wall (I even salvaged some copper piping!). Turns out our water pressure really could have been improved much sooner had we removed those things years ago. Such a shame it took so long, but as long as it's done now!

Unfortunately, with every new discovery, I get more bad news. I've asked my father and it turns out he is particularly attached to several pieces of furniture that he hasn't touched in a decade. I can see why, don't get me wrong. Several of the pieces were handmade in Mexico while others were custom made here in south Texas when he and my mother first started their family. My dad's a bit sentimental when it comes to wood pieces, so he's not been easy to deal with when it comes to refinishing things, either.

I have had some pretty good ideas, though!

I have a pile of stuff that I'm able to sell (not for much but I bet someone can use it) and several pieces I think I can donate. Loads of our mirrors (a vanity, a full body mirror, a hanging mirror and an old wardrobe made in Mexico) will be used to reflect light from that window in the garage to bring light into the room. I'm going to reorganize our shelving (also to be saved because Dad has veto power) so they stay on one wall so we don't lose too much floor space.

I'm casually searching through colors that will make the room brighter. I'm guessing something neutral will make the room a little more adaptable for when it becomes a plain workroom/entertainment room, so it's not super exciting. I also found that an old glass "jug" I purchased at an estate sale (for $1!) is actually the glass dome for an old street lamp! I'm eager to find an old post so I can make it into a lamp for the room. Something to really make the space look like someone can live in it.

There is much more work but I'm gonna keep on trucking until we can move more stuff out.

Maybe you can use the pieces your dad is really attached to as furniture in the room. Double dute: you're hanging on to it, and it serves a purpose to you.

Maybe you can use the pieces your dad is really attached to as furniture in the room. Double dute: you're hanging on to it, and it serves a purpose to you.

Yup, that's what I'm ending up doing. I do have to refinish several of these things, though, because they were varnished about 20 years ago in a way that isn't tasteful.

I'm sanding the wardrobe down and getting out as much of the dark stain as possible. It is just much too dark for the space. It'll have a nice, natural look when it's done.

I just got myself a new stud finder so I can put up some floating shelves for the cats. I want them to be able to get up and explore the room without actually getting all over the furniture.

We got a whole lot done today. Bunches of boxes, wreaths, and other thingamajigs went into the attic and we lines our shelves/dressers along one wall as planned.

The window is finally clear for us so we can remove the blinds and put in curtains.

Tomorrow I'm gonna sweep the garage, gonna post some items on Craigalist for sale and then will finally be able to scrub the floor. Having cats in there for so long has given it a bit of an odor.

Yup, we spent a good 8 hours working today. It's finally coming together. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Try auctions for the boxes of oddball junk that may get trashed or donated even if they get a dollar bid at the auction (75 cents to you) it's better than nothing, and larger pieces either sold that way or a consignment shop.

Try auctions for the boxes of oddball junk that may get trashed or donated even if they get a dollar bid at the auction (75 cents to you) it's better than nothing, and larger pieces either sold that way or a consignment shop.

We are just getting through the worst of the mess, so I'll likely sort out the stuff I can get rid of and just sell it. There is a flea market Facebook page for our local area and I can sell most of it there. I do have a consignment shop that'll let me sell our nicer items, though. Good ideas!

My garage is crazy! :eek: Stuff everywhere, mice (rats!) My

family has been  trying to clean it out for years!

After a bit of a hooplah with my family, we've been getting back to work. Unfortunately, our schedules are all tight and we've been spread pretty thin lately. My time in the garage has been cut down but we are very close to the end! I need to purchase some insulation for the garage door but I'm going to need I borrow a truck to do so, hence the delay.

This is pretty much all the clutter we have left. It's a 525 sq ft room, so I'd say we narrowed it down pretty well! A lot of the work was just realizing that we had loads of junk that we wouldn't miss if it disappeared. The other half was deciding what to store and what to give away. We are still working on that part, so those boxes are next.

It takes more than just one person to get through all this. Mom and I were the major decision makers (mostly because no one wanted to help), so we were able to get loads done in just a couple days.

A mutual desire to complete it really made all the difference. I hope you can jump on into your garage and get it done soon, too!

Quote:After a bit of a hooplah with my family, we've been getting back to work. Unfortunately, our schedules are all tight and we've been spread pretty thin lately. My time in the garage has been cut down but we are very close to the end! I need to purchase some insulation for the garage door but I'm going to need I borrow a truck to do so, hence the delay.

This is pretty much all the clutter we have left. It's a 525 sq ft room, so I'd say we narrowed it down pretty well! A lot of the work was just realizing that we had loads of junk that we wouldn't miss if it disappeared. The other half was deciding what to store and what to give away. We are still working on that part, so those boxes are next.

It takes more than just one person to get through all this. Mom and I were the major decision makers (mostly because no one wanted to help), so we were able to get loads done in just a couple days.

A mutual desire to complete it really made all the difference. I hope you can jump on into your garage and get it done soon, too!

just a thought if you are needing other things done to the house/yard sometimes the big box hardware stores offer free delivery on large enough purchases, also some have a pickup truck that's rented by the hour if you buy something. next guess is a u haul so you could take stuff off to a garbage dump and on the return trip home get the insulation with it.

just a thought if you are needing other things done to the house/yard sometimes the big box hardware stores offer free delivery on large enough purchases, also some have a pickup truck that's rented by the hour if you buy something. next guess is a u haul so you could take stuff off to a garbage dump and on the return trip home get the insulation with it.

We're working on a right budget, so everything, including furniture is either already here or being bought at a salvage shop. We do have a truck, but I wasn't allowed access to it because of a disagreement. Thankfully, we worked it out and will be getting it tomorrow.

I'm already working on a lighting project for the space. There are only two lights in there, so it's pretty dim.

Back
Top Bottom