Added roos to flock, will it stress hens to much not to lay eggs?

buff

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Shippenville, PA
Got new buffs, they are approx. around 4 months now. But I have 5 roos, 2 of them have finally started to attack my older hens, so the flock isn't laying eggs as good as they use to. It is also very hot and humid lately and I know that can stress them also. And when they get stressed, the flock doesn't lay as good as usual. But, since we put the buffs with the flock they seemed ok, with each other until the roos started picking on the older hens. and they seemed not to be laying eggs. Getting less eggs. Just wandering if that would stress my hens to much not to lay as often? Because the roos, don't seem to hang around the coop, my chickens are free ranged. And they pretty much seem to always go to the coop to lay eggs. But I have 8 leg horns and they all seem to lay eggs but some days I just get one white egg and then a day or two later I get 8 white eggs again. And as for the 4 barred rocks & 4 red sex link I get at least 2 to 4 eggs from them. I know 1 of the barred rock doesn't lay anymore. She must be to old got her from someone else who no longer wanted her. never seen her lay any eggs and she doesn't have bleached legs and she also sometimes acts like she is a roo but never crows like a roo. What can I do to help my chickens to start laying like they use to. Do I need to get rid of these roos, and will that help?

Wow - you have a lot going on.

First - why do you have 5 roos? You really only want 1 per dozen hens or so. Otherwise they try to sneak attack the hens & get chased by the head rooster. This causes stress - but I'm not sure if its enough to make them stop laying.

Second - the heat will have more to do with them laying than anything. Make sure they get lots of water & air. Open up the coop as much as possible.

Finally - as you have said age is a factor. The older the bird the less they lay & the longer the period between eggs will become. There isn't anything you can do about this. Its just nature.

Back
Top Bottom