Addictive hatching? What to do with all the chicks?

shandy

Chirping
Apr 26, 2016
Hello
jumpy.gif

So I am setting my first batch of hatching chickens TODAY and I can absolutely see how addictive this becomes for some people! I'm already obsessed! My first batch will be going to some local friends that want more chickens and our second batch will be added to our flock of 9.

My question is: once I do that and want to hatch more, what do I do with them!? Do most people keep them or sell them locally or ship them or give them away? I'm just curious because I can see there's a lot of people hatching a lot of eggs!! Taking a poll...
Thanks!

I sell mine, either as chicks or once grown out. Some males I've managed to rehome but the majority I end up eating. I don't mind the eating part or even the cleaning, but I really hate the killing part :(

Hello
frow.gif
I am in the same boat as you! I've been incubating some duck eggs, my first ever proper incubation with a proper incubator, and I will be giving one away to family, and keeping one or two for myself... but I plan on selling the rest cheap or even free to good homes on a sale page online
smile.png
(provided that they all hatch) I've only got 5 in the bator at the moment. I wanted to start off small.
I think as long as they look healthy & cute in photos, and aren't overpriced, or are free, someone will always buy them. I am addicted already aswell, my chicks are in the stage of hatching.... and I am already thinking about what I want to incubate next, haha. I'm thinking chickens are next on the list...
D.gif

My question is: once I do that and want to hatch more, what do I do with them!? Do most people keep them or sell them locally or ship them or give them away? I'm just curious because I can see there's a lot of people hatching a lot of eggs!! Taking a poll...
Thanks!

I enjoy the hobby and messing with the chicks/chickens---so with 32 chickens and 3 chicken pens I started hatching some eggs----in a few months I had 67 pens and about 200 breeder chickens in 27 different breeds and I hatched and sold a little over 6000 chicks in a little over a year. I grew out some and with the breeders I had a little over 1200 with plans for about 4000 grow outs. BUT the Bird-flu "Scare" messed up all that. So I had to sell almost out---very disappointed at that time. OH, hatching CAN become very addictive---be careful---LOL.

Last edited:
I would like to try to sell some. Let me ask, do you sell them on Craigslist? Are there laws/rules regarding selling chicks?

Selling of farm animals is okay on Craigslist. I put them on there and then also on local farm and animal facebook groups. 90% of the time the sales come from the Craigslist ad, though.

Last year I had people pick them up at my house but this year I will meet them elsewhere. It's inconvenient for me, but I feel like its safer for me and the animals. I have heard stories of people coming back and stealing the flock, and then there is the biosecurity thing, and last year I had a guy walk right into my house when he came to pick up some guinea keets. I don't understand some people. I would NEVER do that. He is lucky he did not get shot.

I enjoy the hobby and messing with the chicks/chickens---so with 32 chickens and 3 chicken pens I started hatching some eggs----in a few months I had 67 pens and about 200 breeder chickens in 27 different breeds and I hatched and sold a little over 6000 chicks in a little over a year. I grew out some and with the breeders I had a little over 1200 with plans for about 4000 grow outs. BUT the Bird-flu "Scare" messed up all that. So I had to sell almost out---very disappointed at that time. OH, hatching CAN become very addictive---be careful---LOL.

All I can say is wow! I sold a lot last year but nothing close to that!

I would like to try to sell some. Let me ask, do you sell them on Craigslist? Are there laws/rules regarding selling chicks?

I sold a decent amount on craigslist(probably 1/3rd) but most were sold at mainly one auction I attended weekly. Might be some rules. I never asked other than shipping----I know I would have to be certified by the State to ship out of state.

Selling of farm animals is okay on Craigslist. I put them on there and then also on local farm and animal facebook groups. 90% of the time the sales come from the Craigslist ad, though.

Last year I had people pick them up at my house but this year I will meet them elsewhere. It's inconvenient for me, but I feel like its safer for me and the animals. I have heard stories of people coming back and stealing the flock, and then there is the biosecurity thing, and last year I had a guy walk right into my house when he came to pick up some guinea keets. I don't understand some people. I would NEVER do that. He is lucky he did not get shot.
I probably sold close 2000 chicks and chickens here at my Home and out of all the customers----None have ever been to my chicken pens. It doesn't even look like I have chickens when you pull up to my house. I don't have any close to my home--they are almost 1/2 mile away. If some one wants chicks/or chickens---they tell me how many they want, what they want and I bring them up to the house. I wait till they call me and are on the way before I go get them. Grown chickens they either come after dark or early the next morning. I do not Allow them to say I will come some time Saturday for example----they give me a accurate time---I am not going to set and wait all day----matter of fact---I do not do good at all waiting 5 or 10 minutes past out set time. I tell them they have to give me a accurate time so I can come up to my home to meet them, but if they are late without calling before out set time---I might not be able to hear my phone so they might be wasted a trip---But I tell them they can count on me being there at out set time----if they come early---just wait---I will be up at out set time. See with me---I do not let them run over me---I know if I do not sell them at the house during the week days they will sell at the Auction on Saturday evening. Then I usually have a new batch of chicks that will be hatching the first of the week----then repeat.

As far as meeting away from the house---if you feel better doing that---for sure go for it. I would really be PO if I went 5 miles away and waited for a no show-----So if I were you, I would tell them to call me when they were 5(what ever it takes for you to get there) minutes away and I would leave then. Good Luck

Last edited:

I can also say if someone came into my house they may get shot ;) Thanks for bringing up the idea of safety, probably security and health wise! I might have to cruise Craigslist and see what's out there already being offered.

Hello
frow.gif
I am in the same boat as you! I've been incubating some duck eggs, my first ever proper incubation with a proper incubator, and I will be giving one away to family, and keeping one or two for myself... but I plan on selling the rest cheap or even free to good homes on a sale page online
smile.png
(provided that they all hatch) I've only got 5 in the bator at the moment. I wanted to start off small.
I think as long as they look healthy & cute in photos, and aren't overpriced, or are free, someone will always buy them. I am addicted already aswell, my chicks are in the stage of hatching.... and I am already thinking about what I want to incubate next, haha. I'm thinking chickens are next on the list...
D.gif
I am out of order, but HELLO Blacklotus!! It's great to hear from someone new to this and so excited too! Keep me updated, I'd love to see the ducks!

Back
Top Bottom