Adding 2 chicks to 6 - can't decide where to start - help me decide

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
I have a flock of 6 beloved hens. Here where I live, I can have up to 8. So I am wanting to get 2 to add this spring (well I want like 20, but 2 will have to do!).

The dilemma is I don't know where to get them, etc. Please read on.

Option 1: There are a couple of breeds I really want (a Swedish Flower Hen and a Splash Marans or Splash Steele Egger). I have an order of 4 chicks coming from Meyer on May 20. My thought was to keep 2, then sell the other 2 after several weeks when they are ready to move outdoors (2 because then they"ll have a buddy when they go to their new home).
But I'm worried this plan may be flawed because 1) I'll fall in love with them then will be heartbroken to sell them, 2) perhaps they will be hard to sell (I've never tried to sell chickens), 3) maybe it's too much work/trouble to go through if I just want 2.

Option 2: The alternative is to keep things simple and just get 2 sexed chicks from a local breeder. They don't have the breeds I really want. But I got 3 chicks from them last year and am happy with them.
Then I am now wondering if raising just 2 chicks is a good idea. Will it be harder to integrate, what if one dies, etc.

What do you think...which way should I go? I'm probably over-thinking it. Haha. I guess because I'll also be at my max of 8. So these will be the last batch for a long time (my current girls are only 1 to 3 years old and will live out their natural lives with me as pets).

I think you would get the chicks you really want...like, I only have so much space in my coops and so I was adamant about not getting any chicks until I was able to get the breed I wanted (what ended up happening was I bought two chickens that I didn't really want and then four chicks of the breed I was waiting for). I don't think you'd have too much trouble finding homes for chicks, but perhaps you should start looking for prospective homes already. Maybe also, just wait on getting chicks (I know that's nigh to impossible though :))?

Thanks for the response. I've been so torn but yeah would be nice to have what I really want for sure!
Maybe also, just wait on getting chicks (I know that's nigh to impossible though :))?
To your point...yeah totally! I wanted to wait until next spring so the girls are spaced out 2 years apart. But it's impossible knowing I have room for 2 now!

You could get 4... 2 that you 'really want' and 2 'not so much' want and sell the 'not so much'.
Either way, I think you'll regret not getting what you really want down the line.
And who drives by and counts chickens to see you have the required 8?.... That's reasoning just in case you fall in love with the 'not so much' 2 also and want to keep them.... 🤣

You could get 4... 2 that you 'really want' and 2 'not so much' want and sell the 'not so much'.
Either way, I think you'll regret not getting what you really want down the line.
And who drives by and counts chickens to see you have the required 8?.... That's reasoning just in case you fall in love with the 'not so much' 2 also and want to keep them.... 🤣
Haha don't encourage me! I considered just getting the required minimum 3 exactly for that reason. But 6+3 seems a lot more overwhelming than 6+2 for some reason.
So playing self psychology (on myself) getting 4 will certainly mean I'll only keep the 2?!?

Haha don't encourage me! I considered just getting the required minimum 3 exactly for that reason. But 6+3 seems a lot more overwhelming than 6+2 for some reason.
So playing self psychology (on myself) getting 4 will certainly mean I'll only keep the 2?!?
😁 Your in the wrong place. We're all chicken math enablers here.. 🤣🤣

I also wanted to add only 2.

One way to do so is to split a chick order with someone else. Add a post to your state's thread to see if anyone's interested.

Another way is to get started pullets. Online, the minimums are smaller, and you don't have to worry so much about one dying and leaving an only. You are also less likely to get a rooster.

You have an order in, so keep it. Get 4. I’d recommend getting more than your max anyway. Chicks sometimes just die. If they are shipped, the stress may end up also causing death. Sometimes an older chicken just up and dies too. If your max is 8, but you have 9 running around, it’s unlikely you’ll get in trouble. But, I don’t know your area either-some are more vigilant with checking up.

If you are really set on certain breeds, you may want to research any local-ish poultry shows, they often have “swaps” or sales. You can investigate any breed clubs bc the breeders will be a member. Or look up NPIP - select your state (or any you want to drive to), a doc comes up. Looks confusing, but on the NPIP web page, look for “stock codes” link. You want the codes that start with “R” for regular size chickens. Find the R code you need for the breeds interested. Then, in the state doc use the “find” function to search for your codes. You might find a breeder in your area or driveable. Good luck.

I think you would get the chicks you really want...like, I only have so much space in my coops and so I was adamant about not getting any chicks until I was able to get the breed I wanted (what ended up happening was I bought two chickens that I didn't really want and then four chicks of the breed I was waiting for). I don't think you'd have too much trouble finding homes for chicks, but perhaps you should start looking for prospective homes already. Maybe also, just wait on getting chicks (I know that's nigh to impossible though :))?
Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning that way too since I'm so limited in the total number. I'm not 100% sure which one I'm going to keep besides the Swedish Flower Hen so I'll need to wait to advertise them when I know which ones I'm advertising.

I also wanted to add only 2.

One way to do so is to split a chick order with someone else. Add a post to your state's thread to see if anyone's interested.

Another way is to get started pullets. Online, the minimums are smaller, and you don't have to worry so much about one dying and leaving an only. You are also less likely to get a rooster.
Yes, My Pet Chicken has the breeds I really like as Pullets. But I just love raising baby chicks so I can bond with them from the beginning.

But that's a good idea, I may try to post on the state thread and see if anyone wants to split the order. Except I don't exactly know which ones I'm keeping besides the SFH. I've ordered a Steele Egger and if she turns out to be splash, I'm going to keep her. If she turns out blue, I'll keep the Splash Marans.

Ah...chicken momma decisions...haha

Back
Top Bottom