Adding a chick rooster/female chick to a year-old flock of 6

Titania207

Chirping
Feb 15, 2022
Hi Everyone, I have 6 hens (3 barred rock, 3 austros) who are a year old and due to some issues with predators I was thinking of adding a rooster for protection (also I just kind of want more chickens lol). But I will get a male chick and a female chick as I don't think it is fair to get just a single chick. How hard will it be to integrate them with my girls and/or is it unwise? My girls get along well with only the occasional irritable peck over food.

Also, I am looking at cream legbars for the new chicks -- because they are apparently more laid back and also, I admit, because they are so pretty. Any opinion? I have never had a rooster and I want one that isnt too aggressive, won't rip up my girls (or me), or scream all day and bug the neighbors.

There is no earthly way to determine the personality that your future rooster is going to develop until he matures. He may be human aggressive, he may be hard on the ladies, he may scream his damn fool head off all day long, or he could be an angel walking the earth in a rooster's body.
Are you allowed to have roosters where you are?

Are you comfortable culling a rooster if he goes bad? Is another important question.

But as to chicks, I get mine in the flock around 3-4 weeks. A lot of hideouts, and safety zones.

I do think you get better roosters raised up in a flock. BUT as stated above, there is no proven way to get a perfect rooster. It is the luck of the draw.

MRs K

Back
Top Bottom