Adding a chick to flock of 3 SLW hens

Pip4Chirp

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Colorado
We have a tiny flock of three very sweet, gentle hens that get along together incredibly well. They are honestly like the best of friends. We want to add a chick or maybe two to our coop and are wondering what is the best way. I've heard SLW's are super good mothers and thought I could introduce the chick to one of the hens and they would think of the chick as their own.

But reading through other threads with other types of chickens, it seems that the hens generally do not accept the chicks and we would need to wait until the chicks were fully feathered to introduce them. Most of the threads involve large flocks and roosters. Does it make a difference that our flock is only three hens?

The best time to integrate chicks is around 16 weeks from my experience. So it is good to have a separate small coop and pen to use as a growout coop. It is quite handy to have around!

Additionally, it is best to bring in more than one new chicken, as the new chickens will be bullied a bit most likely at first, and it goes much better if there is more than one.

Thanks for your help! It sounds like the short cut definitely won't work.
You are welcome! Oh and I noticed that you had had another question: No it doesn't matter if there is just one chicken or three- that chicken is likely to kill or maim a chick unless it is her chick that she is rearing. It is their instinct.

The only exception I have ever seen is a silkie I used to have. This silkie (she was just coming into lay) JUMPED the coop divider I had and jumped into the baby side of the coop, and proceeded to set for the baby chicks I had in there. Never seen anything like it!

What a sweet story! It sounds like a one in a million kind of thing. I won't chance it - was just hoping not to have the chicks in the bathtub again. But my daughter can't wait.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom