Adding a rooster help

nekocafe

Chirping
May 24, 2022
Georgia
Hello! I’m adding an adult rooster (he’s from a good friend) to my flock, he’s a barred rock and same age as my girls - 1 year old. My question is do I integrate him the same as I would new girls (over a 3-4 weeks) or can I just set him in the coop with them? I do have a big dog kennel I use for integrating new chickens so I can use that again if need be.

Attachments

• C0E85882-F298-46B6-A679-4F3724F21B8D.jpeg
    C0E85882-F298-46B6-A679-4F3724F21B8D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
At that age they should all act as mature chickens, not immature cockerel and pullets. If it were me I'd just turn him loose in the coop or run when I could observe. Most of the time he will mate one or two hens and integration is over. He is then the flock master. Sometimes the hens, especially the dominant hen, will not submit and may fight or otherwise resist him taking over. That's what you would be watching for. It is possible it can get violent.

If you wish you can lock him in that kennel. It won't hurt anything. But that would be my second choice if the first effort did not work.

At that age they should all act as mature chickens, not immature cockerel and pullets. If it were me I'd just turn him loose in the coop or run when I could observe. Most of the time he will mate one or two hens and integration is over. He is then the flock master. Sometimes the hens, especially the dominant hen, will not submit and may fight or otherwise resist him taking over. That's what you would be watching for. It is possible it can get violent.

If you wish you can lock him in that kennel. It won't hurt anything. But that would be my second choice if the first effort did not work.
Thank you! Great info. I will try this out and keep watch. :)

Hello! I’m adding an adult rooster (he’s from a good friend) to my flock, he’s a barred rock and same age as my girls - 1 year old. My question is do I integrate him the same as I would new girls (over a 3-4 weeks) or can I just set him in the coop with them? I do have a big dog kennel I use for integrating new chickens so I can use that again if need be.
You don't write the breed of your hens?
What you do need to be aware of is not only will the realtionships between the chickens change, the chickens relationship with you will also change and you may not like that.

Adding an adult rooster is the easiest of introductions. They will all be in love by morning. It will change the dynamics of your flock. They will look to him, and they may become a little less pet like.
Thank you! I didn’t know this. Half of my girls are more pet like, and like being pet, held, fed treats, etc. The others are more skittish/flighty. Is it possible the petlike ones could still stay the same way they are now?

Thank you! I didn’t know this. Half of my girls are more pet like, and like being pet, held, fed treats, etc. The others are more skittish/flighty. Is it possible the petlike ones could still stay the same way they are now?
They're going to change there behavior to accommodate the rooster and you will be someone they fear.

An adult rooster will blend nicely. If you set him in, the head hen may have a problem, mostly I have seen hens groom, and bring a roost treats at first, with an adult rooster joining the flock.

Back
Top Bottom