Adding chicks to single broody hen?

Do I incorporate the chicks with my hen?

• Yes! Broody hens want babies.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe only add the larger chicks and keep the silkies in the brooder.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sseckel

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Southeast, IA
So I need some advice. I have one EE hen who is the sole survivor of the massacre of her flock. I immediately purchased new chicks and am wondering if I can introduce them since she is now broody or if this is a terrible idea. The chicks (10) are 4 weeks old and they have had several meet and greets without incident. But I haven't left them unsupervised for more than an hour or so while I was mowing or gardening. My hen really doesn't come out of the nest box except to eat and very rarely run the yard. Her egg production has stopped (about a week since her last egg) and she doesn't seem bothered by the chicks when she sees them. But I do have 4 silkies in the flock of chicks and I worry about them as they are still so small. But what about the others? Could they upgrade to the coop? Our temps are warm here so I am not worried about them getting chilled as we are in the upper 70"s even over night, and they haven't had their heat lamp on this week as the temp were already where I was trying to heat them to. I am worried about my hen being alone much longer as it has been almost 2 months since her flock died. All advice and opinions are welcome, Thanks!

So I messed up the pole, I was trying to add a third answer option. The 3rd answer should be NO! they are way to young and to do so would invite certain carnage. Just put no at the top of your reply if this is your answer. Thanks. Also if you know how to edit the poll pleas PM me so I can fix it.

Last edited:
Chicks don't take to a mother hen after the first few days. They may become friends as flockmates but she won't necessarily mother them nor will they latch onto her. They'll learn from her just as they would learn from siblings trying new things.
She will probably enjoy the company since she's alone. It would be like a woman stranded on a desert island and a bunch of 4 year olds shipwrecked. She'd probably wish they were adults but she'll take what she can get. I put a lone hen in with 45 baby chicks because her chicks had been eaten by mink and she was out of her flock too long to reintegrate. She doesn't socialize but she accepts that they're occupying her space.

Last edited:
Thanks ChickenCanoe,

I let them stay out there yesterday afternoon for about 6 hours and I think I will let them start staying out there for good after this weekend. I am a bit worried about introducing them to the coop as the pop door is pretty high up and I am not quite sure they can do it yet. But we will see who gets in and out after a few days locked inside. So far they haven't discovered the door yet. Do you think I need to worry about my hen with them in the actual coop? So far they have stayed in the run and she hasn't minded but she is pretty protective over those plastic eggs, lol.

Back
Top Bottom