Adding concrete floor to coop

LillianMae

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Oregon
Hey guys, so I'm planning on adding a concrete floor to the coop to keep predators from digging in. It's about 14 and a half feet long, and about seven feet eight inches wide. How did you guys do your floors? About how much did it cost?

I poured a 16x8 pad. Had to rent a concrete buggy ($100 or so for 8 hours), 3 tons of crushed limestone gravel as a base (around $100), and the concrete truck to curbside with 2.5 yards (around $350). If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask. Its fresh in my mind. You can also see the results by searching for my coop build, under this forum.

Jack

I have a 20'x 10' concrete slab in the yard behind the house. It was here when we bought the place, have no idea what they did with it but was perfect for my 16'x8' coop and run. Love it. No worries about digging predators. I use all purpose sand in the run, cleaning and replacing as the need arises. I am a firm believer in the deep litter method for the coop during winter. I remember reading somewhere that concrete helps with ambient heat. Also easy to clean with soap and hose water during the warmer months. Good luck!
D.gif

Hey guys, so I'm planning on adding a concrete floor to the coop to keep predators from digging in. It's about 14 and a half feet long, and about seven feet eight inches wide. How did you guys do your floors? About how much did it cost?
What does the coop floor look like now?
Can you post some pics?

Have you had any predator infiltration?

Might be a cheaper way.

I have had predators before, it's dark now so I'll post pictures later. My dad is a concrete mason so that'll probably be the easiest route for me to go. The floor is a fairly flat dirt floor.
A few years ago we had something (I think a weasel) take out all but 5 of our 30 chickens (they were almost to laying age), and all it took from them was their heads, and it didn't even eat all of the heads. Fast forward about three years and I had a bunch of chickens with no issues, except for one time when I had a hen randomly disappear during the middle of the day and never come back.

great pick on the concrete!! i believe it will be alot easier to clean and work in there. and your chickens claws will be ground down a bit, too.

Back
Top Bottom