Adding ducks to my chicken coop

Gembo100

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
Hi, I'm getting two ducks this weekend to add to my chicken coop,
I've done a lot of research but wondered if anyone has any tips for introductions, I'm hoping they'll all get along. I have a large walk in run which they'll share with separate coops at night, they will all free range in the garden when we are home, and the ducks will have access to a paddling pool when they free range with supervision.
Thanks

My only concern is, ducks are messy. Chickens prefer a clean, dry pen, and that just ain't gonna happen with ducks, nope nope!

The ducks won't have water in the coop, other than drinking vessels, they will bathe in the garden so I'm hoping the shared coop will remain dryish, fingers crossed otherwise my hubby might have another coop building project on his hands ha ha

The ducks won't have water in the coop, other than drinking vessels, they will bathe in the garden so I'm hoping the shared coop will remain dryish, fingers crossed otherwise my hubby might have another coop building project on his hands ha ha
First let me put out some definitions:
Coop - the house or building they sleep in at night
Pen - the enclosed are around and sometimes under the coop they have access to for feeding and drinking
Run - usually an enclosed area accessible from the run that gives the birds room to scratch about and have exercise in a contained ares
Range - an open area usually pretty large that birds are allowed access to in order to forage for bugs and grass

That done I would suggest that you have separate coops for each one for ducks and one for chickens. The previous poster is correct. Ducks are messy and even if just a drinking fount they will manage to pretty much wed down a coop. I do not put water in my ducks coop (or chickens for that matter) as they are only in there for a few hours to sleep. I do not have water in my bedroom while I sleep and they do not have water in theirs.

Put your new ducks in their coop and restrict them to their pen for a few days so that they will know that it is their home. Then you can let them out into the run for a few days followed by their first outing into the range.

You should have little to no problem between the ducks and the chickens (with the possible exception of a protective rooster who will set the ducks straight in a second).

There are folks who will differ with me on the above but that is the experience I have had that works for me.

Best of luck

Sorry for the confusion, they will have separate coops (sleeping quarters) but a shared pen/ open walk in large run. Their bathing pool will be in the range (my garden) where they free range for scratching bug catching grass eating general mess and play :) thanks for tips. I have no rooster but a very bossy head hen :)

I'm getting two female khaki Campbell/ runner cross ducks they are 22 weeks old, I already have three hens, my hens are very tame (2 one year olds and 1 one year old)

Trust me, they find a way. Between their poop and their love of mud, you will have a constant battle to keep it dry. And if the chickens' straw bedding begins to mildew you have a REAL problem on your hands. Chickens and ducks are best kept separated. It can be done, but I don't recommend it for a first-time duck owner.

I kept my ducks and chickens together, in the same coop and pen. Yeah, things got muddy, but would quickly dry. Everyone was friendly, for the most part. The birds all just avoided each other, really. As long as the chickens have somewhere warm and dry to go that the ducks won't go to, it'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom