Adding new hens to the crew.

kdelorme2005

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 5, 2013
Vermont
Hi-

our little chicken farm started w. 9 chicks. one was a rooster (that we didn't know about) other 8 were hens. We recently had a raccoon come and destroy half of our flock. We were down to 3, Rooty (the rooster) and 2 hens. Rooty was mean to start w. after the attack he got vicious. My boyfriends had to kill Rooty. We are now down to 2 hens. We want to add a few more hens in but I am nervous not everyone is going to get along. I don't want them to start pecking at each other or killing each other. What is the best way to do this?

thank you all!!

images

Welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry for all your losses. And taking out a mean rooster is always a good idea. But you can mix in new birds with few issues if you do it slowly. Keep the new birds in a cage or fenced off area, but within the flock at all times. Keep these new birds like this for about 3 weeks. This will not only give them quarantine time, but allow the existing flock to work out the pecking order from behind wire. Everybody sees, no body touches. After about 3 weeks, you can let the new birds in. There should be little if any aggression. But always stand guard that day and the rest of that week just in case. And always intervene if it does turn bloody. But generally, it goes fairly smoothly if done in this fashion.

Good luck mixing in a new set of birds and I hope you can get them soon!

Back
Top Bottom