Adding to the flock

lilyrose

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 9, 2012
I have five two year old hens that are lovely. I have a 20/20 covered indoor pen that has access to the coop and through the coop they can access a 30by30 outdoor area. I don't free range my girls in the summer. The indoor pen is split in two equally with a door between. Four weeks ago I brought five 8 week old Black Cooper Marans and they have been on their side of the indoor pen during the quarantine period. They are in full sight of the other five. The babies are now 11 weeks old. I thought I would be able to integrate them today. I opened the door and my sweetest hen was on the other side and I thought "oh good" because she wouldn't hurt a soul. WRONG! She came flying in and just went at them. I quickly scooped her up and took her out and shut the door. Am I doomed to never be able to mix these two flocks?

HELP!

Last edited:
The only way to put them together is to let them do there thing there going to get picked on or pecked at when you put them in there's not really anything you can do.

It should only last a week usually. And there are risks in introducing them some could be killed but if you want just let them get bigger

I read somewhere that there is a window of time to introduce them. I think the person said that you can wait too long. They are definitely smaller than my old flock. I was thinking that if they were bigger there would be worse fighting.

Mhm I wouldn't know I personally never heard that but letting them see eachother for a week or two before hand helps but there will be fighting when I introduce smaller chickens to my older ones I try to make places only the little ones can run to and hide. And if you free range them just take the baby ones outside and free range together so they can get away if they get pecked. They just try to show the pecking order but I'm sorry if I couldn't answer your question this is just off personal experience

When introducing new members to the flock there is a lot of times one who makes sure the new comers know their place. All you can do is watch and only intervene if there is blood. It should slow down after a little while. If it persists then separate her and let the rest inter grate. After a week of isolating the bully she will be returned to a united flock and she will have to watch everyone to keep her place in the order.

Back
Top Bottom