Adding two hens to my four

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
In a couple of days, I am taking in a couple of 2 year old hens that will join my flock of four, around the same age.

From what I understand....
These two should be entirely separate for two weeks to look for illness.
I should deworm them from the start, just in case.

After two weeks, I should began slowly introducing them to my girls. I have a temporary small run for this inside my permanent run.

Am I missing something? Please, please share advice!

Also, with it being cold outside (typically in the 30s)....and I believe I will have to keep the new new hens indoors (no garage or basement) at first (2 weeks) will putting them outside and that temperature change be dangerous?

That is pretty much what I do. When you introduce them make sure you monitor them. There will be pecking but as long as it is not too much it is okay. Also I recommend having a section of the roost that is separated by chicken wire for the new hens to sleep in.

That is pretty much what I do. When you introduce them make sure you monitor them. There will be pecking but as long as it is not too much it is okay. Also I recommend having a section of the roost that is separated by chicken wire for the new hens to sleep in.
Thanks. The wire is an easy fix!

Ok. What am I looking for as far as illness in the new girls? Just the obvious symptoms I assume?
Pretty much anything that isn't right. Coughing, sneezing, wheezing, discharge, lethargy, limping, mites/lice, diarrhea, worms, weight loss, etc. I, personally, would quarantine for longer (I quarantined my ducks for a month), but I know that can be difficult without help.

Quarantine protocol has a lot to do with what you saw when you got them, what you notice when they are home / can do a more complete inspection, and how much you know/ trust the source based on observation and conversations.

I have a friend I trust- bought a drake, put him straight in w my other duck hens, as I had sold several other ducks the same day.... and they accepted him readily. It was a gamble (I was worried about flock dynamics, not health issues)
I know her flock and she does a great job caring for them. They never had any issues at all. (Got lucky, I know. But. I’m not sorry about that 😂)

I bought a group of 9 hens yesterday.... their owner seemed great from conversations.... they will be wormed, checked over for everything, long quarantine.... they are not in good shape. I was happy to get them to a better place.
But we have.... a long row to hoe 😕

Quarantine protocol has a lot to do with what you saw when you got them, what you notice when they are home / can do a more complete inspection, and how much you know/ trust the source based on observation and conversations.

I have a friend I trust- bought a drake, put him straight in w my other duck hens, as I had sold several other ducks the same day.... and they accepted him readily. It was a gamble (I was worried about flock dynamics, not health issues)
I know her flock and she does a great job caring for them. They never had any issues at all. (Got lucky, I know. But. I’m not sorry about that 😂)

I bought a group of 9 hens yesterday.... their owner seemed great from conversations.... they will be wormed, checked over for everything, long quarantine.... they are not in good shape. I was happy to get them to a better place.
But we have.... a long row to hoe 😕
I don't know how they really love now although i believe they've mostly loved off of scratch.

Back
Top Bottom