Adopt a Chicken

Gold Coaster

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 8, 2012
Gold Coast - Queensland Australia
Hello everyone,

One of my local animal shelters has a young chicken for adoption but I was hoping someone could help me identify a few factors about it from the photo.

Is this a young pullet or a roo?
How old is s/he?
What breed might s/he be? (They classify her as 'grey' in colouring).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am considering adopting her and purchasing another pullet around the same age so that they can keep each other company. I have no idea why she was surrendered to the local animal shelter.

Cheers,
Gold Coaster

im no good at this but i will give it a shot, the color is blue, they probably got rid of it because its hard to rehome roosters and the type i have no idea. looks like it could use some fat on it and about 5-6 months old. with all that being said if i had the offer i would take it because it seems like it will be a nice looking bird

Hmm... I'm guessing it is a modern game type breed. I am not really familiar with these breeds so it is hard for me to guess on age, but it looks like she is long and lean like that breed. I don't see any signs of pointy hackle feathers around the neck that a cockerel would develop. If she is a she then I would just guess that she is a ways off from starting laying because her comb is not really red.

It might help to post the photo in this section, with a different thread title: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
The BYC members who go tho that section may be better at answering you questions.

I think that it is great that you are thinking of adopting from a shelter.

Scratch'n'peck, you may know better, but to me she looks sorta like an Asil or a O Shamo. Is that possible?
I agree. Probably less than 6 months old. I'd still be iffy about calling it a cockerel, that can change in the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom