Ador Coop Door - thoughts and comments, please

Whigru

Songster
May 7, 2020
Minnesota
Hello everyone!
We built our coop this spring and currently have a “door” that lifts up in toward the coop and latches above. I’m getting tired of trudging through cold/wind/rain/snow to let out and lock the girls up every day, though, and I don’t get out as early in the morning as they’d like. I’ve explored some automated doors and saw some other posts that recommend the Ador. I know there are others but I’d prefer a sliding door rather than hinged. I also need battery-operation.

who here has an Ador door and are there tips, tricks, recommendations that you’d be willing to share? It looks like a solid door and USA made is great. I am leaning toward this one but would love feedback.
Thanks!

I don't have specific input on the door, we have an omlet automatic door, but I can tell you it really made a difference for us in terms of remembering to shut/open the door. I also like it because we have it close at such a time that it keeps rats out of the coop too. I have been toying with putting one on the run so they can free range during the day at will but it will close at night.

That is what I have and am very satisfied with it. Used it for 3 years now, and change a $5 battery once per year. I like the light sensing operation, but if it does get cloudy and dark in afternoon, sooner than normal, the door will close. Just need to keep that in mind.
Tips,,,,, make sure the track is clear, and clean from possible chicken litter from inside coop floor. Chickens do scratch around, and things get tossed around. I have my pop door sufficiently above the coop floor, so the litter issue is not existent for my coop. Just thought I mention it.
Ask anything else specific, since I have it operating currently, and can answer .
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I don't have specific input on the door, we have an omlet automatic door, but I can tell you it really made a difference for us in terms of remembering to shut/open the door. I also like it because we have it close at such a time that it keeps rats out of the coop too. I have been toying with putting one on the run so they can free range during the day at will but it will close at night.
Thank you for your feedback! I think it will be worth the investment for those same reasons.

That is what I have and am very satisfied with it. Used it for 3 years now, and change a $5 battery once per year. I like the light sensing operation, but if it does get cloudy and dark in afternoon, sooner than normal, the door will close. Just need to keep that in mind.
Tips,,,,, make sure the track is clear, and clean from possible chicken litter from inside coop floor. Chickens do scratch around, and things get tossed around. I have my pop door sufficiently above the coop floor, so the litter issue is not existent for my coop. Just thought I mention it.
Ask anything else specific, since I have it operating currently, and can answer .
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thank you! It’s got a bit of a price tag on it but I see the perks of it being from good quality materials, the minimal battery use, and having the timer/sensor. I did read that there are two light settings, one of which allows you to have it open a bit earlier than the other (I found this on the website). Good point about the chicken clutter, our door currently sits at floor height but maybe we can fashion something to pop it up an inch or so higher.
The catalog description does list “auxiliary output for driving: nightlight, ovalight, external alarm.” Do you know what this means? Would it allow a person to connect some sort of additional light feature to it?
We would be mounting this using the surface mount technique, do you have an opinion on mounting on the exterior vs interior?

The catalog description does list “auxiliary output for driving: nightlight, ovalight, external alarm.” Do you know what this means? Would it allow a person to connect some sort of additional light feature to it?
We would be mounting this using the surface mount technique, do you have an opinion on mounting on the exterior vs interior?
I'm not sure of the auxiliary outputs. Maybe these are new features that have been added recently. I would have to read the info on their website. I do know that when the door is closed, it will not open with short term light, like a cars headlights shining on it. I also know that it will not close immediately when light source is cut off. If we do decide to lock up the coop early, and I place a tape over the light sensor, it seems like a few minutes before door closes. I never timed it BTW.

Mine is mounted surface exterior. If you want to mount it inside, which is just fine, you need to get the external sensor which I think is a $17 accessory. I did get the external sensor, because I plan to build a larger coop, and the mounting of door would be in the shade too much. The external sensor would be directed at the open sky for best light sensing.

I have two. One installed in June (purchased a couple years ago) and another purchased recently but not installed yet. I have extremely happy with the Ador, so much so I purchased the second one recently in anticipation of installing it next spring. Hopefully saved a little money by doing that but mostly I like to buy my materials when I have the money and before the actual start of the project.
I used the battery I purchased at the same time as the purchase of the first Ador which means it was still sealed but a couple years old. I have had two glitches in the door opening which I would attribute mostly to the age of the battery and my failure to clean out the track. But, both glitches happened on cold mornings and my wonderful knowledgeable neighbor, who has 97 chickens of her own, says they all occasionally glitch up on cold mornings. One of the two instances the door did not open at all, the other it opened only a few inches. Both easily corrected by lightly tapping the control button and assisting the door gently by a hand under the edge.
I will replace the battery this week, and clean the track. I will let you know if I have any more issues.

Back
Top Bottom