ADS? LOUD ADS? On BYC?

JerseyHen

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Sussex County, NJ
So, I opened up the page today and all of a sudden was assaulted by a stream of audio ads. I am sure I didn't click on anything that would have launched an ad. Nothing popped up, nothing was showing in the main window that I sould see. Is this a new thing? Has BYC been hacked? Has anyone else experienced this?

There shouldn't be any audio ads running on BYC... at least not any that automatically play without you telling them to!

To find and remove the ad we need to know as many details about the ad as possible. We work with many companies to provide ads, so you can imagine how tricky it is to track down.

Here is what we need:

1. A screenshot of the ad on the site
  2. The time / day you saw the ad
  3. Any other info about the ad (for example, if you hoverover the ad, does it give you a click URL, if so, what is it).

Again, we are anxious to make sure these kinds of ads don't sneak through, so we need as much info as possible to remove them.

Thanks!

Hey Nifty-Chicken! I know that your site doesn't do that so that is why I posted this just for you. It was the strangest thing: no ad that popped up, none of the ads on the site seemed to generate the audio (I did scroll around afterward looking for the source of the sound, I posted my comment within a minute of it happening, but it has not happened again. I just opened a thread, and started scrolling through (and yes, I am certain that I didn't click or hover over anything except the thread), and this audio string started up. That is why I figured this might have been a hack. At first I thought I got phished, but it seems to be your actual site, so more likely hacking.

I will let you know if it happens again and I will try to determine exactly how it was embedded in your site. Really strange, right?

There shouldn't be any audio ads running on BYC... at least not any that automatically play without you telling them to!

To find and remove the ad we need to know as many details about the ad as possible. We work with many companies to provide ads, so you can imagine how tricky it is to track down.

Here is what we need:

1. A screenshot of the ad on the site
  2. The time / day you saw the ad
  3. Any other info about the ad (for example, if you hoverover the ad, does it give you a click URL, if so, what is it).

Again, we are anxious to make sure these kinds of ads don't sneak through, so we need as much info as possible to remove them.

Thanks!

I'm 99.9% sure there was no hacking involved. If it was, we'd have hundreds of reports of problems.

If you see (hear) it again, please provide as much detail as possible so we can determine if it is a site / ad issue vs. a localized issue to your specific computer (usually the case).

Will do. I just ran updates and virus updates yesterday, but I suppose anything is possible.

I'm 99.9% sure there was no hacking involved. If it was, we'd have hundreds of reports of problems.

If you see (hear) it again, please provide as much detail as possible so we can determine if it is a site / ad issue vs. a localized issue to your specific computer (usually the case).

I had the same issue today! But wasn't sure it was BYC? I had 4 tabs open on my IE and was gong back and forth between them. I refreshed BYC and walked away. Few mintues later I was walking past office and heard a mans voice inside! LOL I couldn't figure out where it came from till I walked to computer. I thought it was a video but searched all open windows and couldn't find one.

I just happened to be reading the forumns and seen this post.

WEIRD!

I just remembered that as I was scrolling...I thought I had accidently clicked on an ad on the right side. But I waited to see if a new window opened and nothing did. So I figured maybe I really hadn't 'clicked'.

Could that have been it?

Sometimes ads have a video or audio element IF you click on them, but there should definitely never be any auto-play ads.

If these ads ever do appear, we need as much info as possible to track them down. We unfortunately can't manually approve the hundreds of ads that come through ad networks like Google, and sometimes even their systems miss these types of ads.

Audio adds?
Two adds at different times started playing today while I was on BYC...without me clicking, rolling over them, or anything. They just were there with the other adds and started playing. One was about stain remover, I know. Is this normal? Anybody else getting these?

Back
Top Bottom