adult colors already??

Kacey52

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
I just noticed my 2 bigger ducklings have some green on their heads!!! They are 4 week old Mallards. I don't see any on the smaller one. The 2 bigger ones hatched a day before the smaller one. Anyway isn't it way early to see color on them? I'll try to get a picture.

i got my first ducks (12) at 2 days old back in April (24th) and it was several weeks before I could tell any color...the wings got the blue stripes first....I'm just wondering if it has something to do with the time of year. I know in the wild they have to start getting color etc. probably nothing to do with it..anyway, I agree it seems awful early.......

My ducklings are 4 weeks old and are getting adult coloring on their faces too. They've had feathers on their bodies for about a week and a half. I'm new to ducks so I don't know if it's early or not but they've had swimming water for a couple weeks to keep cool and developed feathers on their bellies first.

mallard drakes and hens look the same till about 6 months old. ducks dont get their adult feathers till they are about 6+ months old

Cute ducks, thanks for sharing a picture
smile.png
The one in front on the right looks just like my 3.

I took a picture, but I'll see if I can get a better one. These ducks just turned 4 weeks and I can clearly see green on 2 of their heads. The feathers on their bodies are still the brown hen colors. I don't know what's going on, it's crazy.

Here's some pictures I just took of my ducks. I have no idea why they're sideways
hmm.png
but I think you can see the green on their heads pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom