Jayneehartland

In the Brooder
May 8, 2022
We noticed our beautiful Cayuga drake, Bling, wasn't acting like himself about 20 days ago. He would be hiding off by himself and wasn't accepting treats. We separated him so he wouldn't get picked on and started tube-feeding him. He turned around in a couple of days and got his appetite back and we thought we were out of the woods until his neck began to progressively look strangely bent inward. We've been giving him Vitamin E 400 IU soft gels, a quarter of a crushed-up B-Complex from Nature-made, and a tiny bit of selenium and niacin. His neck feels very stiff and it's like he can't unbend it even when I try to gently massage it back into place. He also has had teary eyes that have hardened around his face that I've been cleaning for him - I assume it's from him not being able to groom himself as he would regularly. He's still got a great appetite and is pretty mobile for a little guy in his condition.

We haven't seen improvement in over a week of giving him these vitamins and I've been worried I may be misdiagnosing him as I know wry neck seems to be very uncommon in adult ducks. I do think there was a potential injury that may have led to this happening to him (didn't witness anything but his neck seemed slightly kinked at the very beginning of this and I read wry can be triggered by an injury. I've attached a photo of him as well as a video I found that looks exactly like what he's dealing with.

Should I stay the course and just continue to give him vitamins daily? Unfortunately, there's little to no options for vet services where I am so I'm trying to help him the best I can on my own. Thank you in advance for any help!! :)
http://pekin with very similar condition
Pekin I found with the exact same condition

Attachments

• bling neck.jpg
    bling neck.jpg
    787 KB · Views: 46
It sounds to me like you're doing perfectly the right thing for Bling. It usually does take at least a week for the symptoms to show improvement so I'd keep going. I'm glad you said "tiny bit" of selenium as some people overdo it with that which can be harmful as well.

BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) contain Vit E and Selenium as well as other nutrients and fat. It's what our silkies get as they are prone to wry neck/vitamin deficiencies. So that's an idea for a treat for him.

He sure is beautiful!

It sounds to me like you're doing perfectly the right thing for Bling. It usually does take at least a week for the symptoms to show improvement so I'd keep going. I'm glad you said "tiny bit" of selenium as some people overdo it with that which can be harmful as well.

BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) contain Vit E and Selenium as well as other nutrients and fat. It's what our silkies get as they are prone to wry neck/vitamin deficiencies. So that's an idea for a treat for him.

He sure is beautiful!
Thank you so much!! I appreciate getting confirmation that this is what is going on! Just started doubting myself when I saw no real improvement.

Appreciate you! :)

Wanted to update for anyone who may come on this page that Bling made a full recovery with a few weeks of treatment and has been in great condition since so if your duck has this problem just keep at it!

Back
Top Bottom