Adult ducks suddenly unable to walk, one dead

SometimesCraftr

Songster
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
SW Washington State
Last night when my son was putting the ducks to bed he mentioned one of my runners was having trouble walking and he picked her up and put her in the barn. He said another one was as well, but I didn't think much of it because they will limp around for a day or so and then be fine. It's usually due to our drake. This morning when he let them out I asked how the duck in question was doing and he said she had died! I went out and noticed my male and 2 of my other females are having trouble walking. They will take some steps and then fall to the ground with their wings spread out. They are able to get around and are still hunting around for food and drinking water, but i'm wondering if we have a parasite going around. Does this sound familiar? We've had ducks for several years now and I haven't ran across anything like this yet. We did take in some chickens for the neighbors this summer, but they are housed separately. One of the chickens randomly died a week or two ago, and was kept in a separate area from the ducks, but everything i've ever read doesn't link a lot of chicken diseases to ducks, so i'm feeling like this is unrelated. Our ducks are in a new section of the property that they haven't been on since last winter, so i'm also wondering if they ate something they shouldn't. I was going to run to the store for some poultry vitamins, but hoping this sounds familiar to someone and they can guide me on treatments to try.

I’d pick up some activated charcoal also you can find it in the antacids section at Walmart and other places if it is a toxin the charcoal can help flush it out. How old are they?

I will pick up some charcoal. What is the best way to administer to them? Two are 5 years old and one is 2. The one that died was 3.

I did put them into a "hospital" cage this morning. I just put the two in there, the 3rd is doing better it seems, so i've left her out and i'm just watching her. The two in the cage seem to be fine other than the weak legs. They are eating and drinking and want to be out with the flock. Their eyes are clear and the poop in the house looks to be okay. I didn't have my phone on me, so I will have to go back out. Their necks don't seem to be weak, but I have been watching that from what little I could find so far on duck illness. I picked up some activated charcoal, but haven't given that to them yet. We just got back with it.

Miss Lydia, this is what Gladys was doing too and probably Alma a while back in the fall when they were molting and I thought they were dying! This, and the shaky leg thing. Their legs would tremble and they'd suddenly fall down and couldn't get up. They would try to walk with their wings spread out but limped along. They couldn't get away from me so I was able to pick them up. I wonder if where my duck run has metallic stuff in there that we don't know about! Our property was owned by a lot of people and we've found some weird stuff on it like a toxic barrel of who knows what that we brought to the dump.

Back
Top Bottom